Enfield Carbine Bucket

patrick

My first post, so a quick introduction. I live and work in Berlin, shoot a Lee Enfield No 5. carbine, a Bavarian Werder M69 cavalry carbine (black powder cartridge) and various Lugers.

I would much appreciate help in finding the service background to an Enfield rifle bucket (scabbard) I purchased. It has no markings or stamps. My Enfield No. 5 is a perfect fit without the magazine, so I would estimate that a SMLE would also fit.

B1.jpg
B1.jpg (65.03 KiB) Viewed 3739 times
B2.jpg
B2.jpg (90.25 KiB) Viewed 3739 times
B3.jpg
B3.jpg (78.54 KiB) Viewed 3739 times
B4.jpg
B4.jpg (85.82 KiB) Viewed 3739 times
B5.jpg
B5.jpg (50.22 KiB) Viewed 3739 times
B6.jpg
B6.jpg (62.45 KiB) Viewed 3739 times
B7.jpg
B7.jpg (62.45 KiB) Viewed 3739 times
B8.jpg
B8.jpg (85.82 KiB) Viewed 3739 times
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

You might also want to post this query on the UP section of this site. It's one of the forums, but it's dedicated to British tack.
Larry Emrick
Society Member
Last Name: Emrick

Hello Patrick:
I have been doing some research on your bucket and while I won't say for certain that it is not for an SMLE, I suspect that it might be for a Madsen or Rexer light mahine gun.
This subject was discussed at length on the forum some years ago and although I found the discussion I could not activate the photos that your
accompany it
For your guidance on SMLE buckets search S.M.L.E. rifle buckets In the UP forum here to find photos of John Morgan's outstanding collection and they will show you the differences between his and yours.
If you Google either Madsen or Rexer light machine guns you will find a wealth of material, including period photos of those weapons being carried in saddle buckets, at least one of which appears to be similar to yours, with a flap.
Good luck with your research.
Larry
patrick

Thanks Larry. I did see the collection you mention. But still think it maybe for the Enfield.
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

I've moved this topic to the "UP" forum here on the site, while leaving a "shadow" up in the general forum. The reason that I've done this is that if this is a British military bucket those who frequent the UP forum may be more likely to have additional knowledge on the bucket.