British C19 Driving Harness

John Tremelling
Past Society Member
Past Society Member
Last Name: Tremelling

Society Member

Inactive Society Member

There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum thus I am hopeful that someone may be able to assist me with this query, most likely John M. Roy is undoubtedly knowledgeable in Horse Artillery but I doubt that his experience dates to C 19.

I need to make a full 6 horse set of 19th Century British Artillery Driving Harness. According to Major G. Tylden in his book 'Horses and Saddlery', there was a pattern in the Peninsula, presumably surviving until the 1815 scrap, patterns in 1840, 1853, 1861, 1883 and 1892. Tylden has some good sketches and photos which could be interpreted, but does anyone know a source of any more comprehensive or primary source info, or better still, original pieces. I have a drivers and luggage saddle, but nothing else.

I have heard rumours of an excellent recent publication, but my informant cannot remember details.

I shall of course also be writing the Royal Artillery 'Firepower' Museum, and the Royal Armouries Artillery Museum.

John T

“If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it”
Pat Holscher
Website Admin
Last Name: Holscher

Society Member

Donor Palm Leaf

John Ruf would be a good candidate for that information as well.
Pat

Animadvertistine, ubicumque stes, fumum recta in faciem ferri?
hbtoday98
Last Name: Baker

l think this is johns site.what you need to look up is the loc they are in books of by year( british army list of changes)

http://mysite.verizon.net/imagelib/site ... &title=LOC 7883 Figure 1 (1895)
Larry Emrick
Society Member
Last Name: Emrick

Society Member

Hi John: Just a reminder that I have a broadarrow marked harness saddle, I believe it is called - the one with the thick pad and the big brass hook - that is already packed and ready to ship if you want it. It's yours for the cost of shipping, which I will look into if you want it. Larry
unclearthur
Last Name: Hopkins

Hi John

The book you're looking for may be 'Napoleonic Field Artillery' by Carl Franklin ISBN 978-1-86227-373-3. I don't have a copy but judging from his 'British Napoleonic Uniforms', which has an extensive section on the cavalry, the leatherwork/equipment section seems pretty accurately drawn.

A six-horse team set? Rather you than me!

http://www.cavalrytales.co.uk
John Tremelling
Past Society Member
Past Society Member

Society Member

Inactive Society Member

Thank you all for your various comments.

I do recall your mention of the saddle Larry, as I also recall you posted or sent me a photo and I thought that it was a roller. Must try to find the photo, senility is getting to me.

I tried to find the book you mentioned Uncle, sadly without success. Are the details correct? Yes, a bit of a challenge but 'aim high' before senility takes over completely.
John T

unclearthur
Last Name: Hopkins

This is the link to its Amazon page, but only showing one stupidly priced volume so may be out of print.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/British-Napoleo ... 144&sr=1-1

If I come across one anywhere else I'll let you know (unless I snap it up first!).

Jonathan

http://www.cavalrytales.co.uk
John Meshkoff
Last Name: Meshkoff

I put in a library search request for Carl Franklin's book, but it was not available to me in California. The following libraries have a copy of the book:

Harvard University, Harvard College Library
Cambridge, MA 02139 United States

National Library of Scotland
Edinburgh, EH1 1SL United Kingdom

University of Oxford
Oxford, OX1 3LU United Kingdom.

I searched for this book this past March, and have just re-located the library response with the info; I hope this may be of some help.

Regards, John Meshkoff
John Ruf
Past Society Member
Past Society Member
Last Name: Ruf

Society Member

Inactive Society Member

Donation 2nd

John:

I have some of the LOC's for the Napoleonic artillery harness, so does Carl E.Franklin, who published Napoleonic Field Artillery, the book is a must-have. Contact me by e-mail and I will send you a CD with all I have on the harness and contact information for Mr. Franklin. I assume you have wood arch Driver's and Valise saddles--very rare birds indeed! There is one near my home in Culpeper Virginia with Civil War provenance in the Turner Ashby home.

I know Kent Oestenstad, Doug Kidd and Terry Hinton have made six-up harness from scratch, but that was Grimsley and/or WWI vintage equipments. I have done all the components except the collars myself at one time or another.

Here is a link to one of the LOC's, while it is later (1895), the harness is virtually unchanged--the big difference is the saddle:
http://mysite.verizon.net/imagelib/site ... 1%20(1895)
Regards,

John Ruf
Culpeper, Virginia

"God forbid that I should go to any Heaven in which there are no horses."
Robert Bontine Cunninghame Graham 1852-1936
John Tremelling
Past Society Member
Past Society Member

Society Member

Inactive Society Member

Almost finished the 1788 Desagulier pattern limber, soon to start cutting leather. A huge thank you to all, especially John Ruf and Tom Bear.
John T

John Ruf
Past Society Member
Past Society Member
Last Name: Ruf

Society Member

Inactive Society Member

Donation 2nd

John:

Thanks; I can't wait to see photos of it all!
Regards,

John Ruf
Culpeper, Virginia

"God forbid that I should go to any Heaven in which there are no horses."
Robert Bontine Cunninghame Graham 1852-1936