Operation Barbarossa In Photographs

Reviews and commentary on books, films, etc.
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

This book is a 1991 translation of Paul Carell's 1967 text. Several of Carell's books are in print in English now, although I haven't read any of them. Indeed, I had not heard of Carell at all when I ran across this book in Portland's Powell's City of Books store. This photographic compilation, however, is well worth having for the photographs.

By way of some background, Carell originally wrote for a German audience. Operation Barborssa was apparently written in the 1960s, and according to the introduction Carell ran across a lot of photographic material while writing the book. Many of the photographs were taken by German troops. Carell purports to have made an effort to acquire the same type of material from Soviet sources, but the weight of the material is clearly German.

On that note, the text of this book is both a little odd, and sometimes a little disturbing. The translation is not always the best, and on some material not even given. Carell, moreover, was in the foreign service of the Nazi regime when the war broke out, and the text suggest, every so subtly, that he was not really convinced that the German war aims in the Soviet Union were really a bad idea. In some spots the text is slightly reminiscent, in a much more gentle form, of something that might be expected from German war time propaganda.

All that aside, the photos are really worth having. As this is the Military Horse, I want to mention that the book has many revealing photographs of German, and Russian, horses at war. Unfortunately little detail is provided about those particular photographs. Anyhow, if a person ran across this book, and had an interest in the German Army in WWII, German use of horses, or the war as experienced by Germans and Russians on the Eastern front, this book is worth acquiring.

Pat