History Channel: Full Metal Jousting

Reviews and commentary on books, films, etc.
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

Has anyone been watching this new show?
selewis
Society Member
Last Name: Lewis

Pat Holscher wrote:Has anyone been watching this new show?
I've seen part of one episode and a few promotional clips. That was enough to think, "no thank you".

Sandy
Pat Holscher
Society Member

Okay, I'll confess I halfway saw a couple of episodes, although while I was doing other things, so I haven't paid that much attention.

However, having said that, in the last episode I'd note that two participants were lanced in a most embarrassing location which leads me to wonder why they are using Australian stock saddles for the show. Real jousting saddles had really stout high pommels to shield the rider. An Australian stock saddle does not. I'd think you'd want the armor up front on the saddle like that. Maybe they're worried about riders not being able to get off or being trapped in the saddle.
Brian P.
Last Name: Petruskie

I've been watching this. Obviously, it appeals to the baser instincts - you're just waiting for the wreck to happen! Too many of these guys are getting hurt. They're crazy to participate in this. It violates two of my grandmother's rules: don't run with pointy objects, and don't hit each other with sticks!
Brian P.
Last Name: Petruskie

Pat Holscher wrote:Okay, I'll confess I halfway saw a couple of episodes, although while I was doing other things, so I haven't paid that much attention.

However, having said that, in the last episode I'd note that two participants were lanced in a most embarrassing location which leads me to wonder why they are using Australian stock saddles for the show. Real jousting saddles had really stout high pommels to shield the rider. An Australian stock saddle does not. I'd think you'd want the armor up front on the saddle like that. Maybe they're worried about riders not being able to get off or being trapped in the saddle.
Sort of related to my last comment - As they are trying to unseat the rider for points, there would be no point in putting them in an old style jousting saddle. Part of the drama is watching these poor idiots crash to the ground wearing 80 pounds of metal!
Jim Bewley
Society Member
Last Name: Bewley

Thanks for the review folks. I forgot this was on and now I'm happy about forgetting. :thumbup:

Jim
Pat Holscher
Society Member

Brian P. wrote:I've been watching this. Obviously, it appeals to the baser instincts - you're just waiting for the wreck to happen! Too many of these guys are getting hurt. They're crazy to participate in this. It violates two of my grandmother's rules: don't run with pointy objects, and don't hit each other with sticks!
Indeed a premise of the show is to introduce individuals from other walks of life into the jousting arena (or whatever it is).

Medieval jousting, on the other hand, was solely the domain of professionals.

I guess I'm not terribly concerned by the premise or the inaccuracies, but that's worth noting.
Wisperingwind

The did not do their research on the saddles some portugues and spanish saddles still to day have the high built fronts if nothing than for tridution and show.... but they shure would have saved some ones package from being distroyed in the name of promotion!