Book by former packer

Reviews and commentary on books, films, etc.
selewis
Society Member
Last Name: Lewis

A book was recommended to me last night: 'The Mules Last Bray' by H.L. Hames, a former horse soldier and Park Service employee. I could find only a few expensive paperback copies on line so I'm biding my time hoping for a better deal someday. But has anyone read it? Liked it?

Sandy
FtValleyPS
Society Member
Last Name: Nelson

Hi Sandy. Oh yes, this is a great book, one I go back to every now and then because it's interesting and for the FS side of things, which I like a lot. It's a letter-sized paperback book, but it is really good, lots of good stories and photos. The author, Lee Hames, is still alive, I believe, and living near Huson, Montana, where I think he's originally from. He started with the U.S. Forest Service prior to WW2, packing to the backcountry from the Nine Mile Remount Station, and to fires in the region. Just before the war he was transferring FS animals from the remount station to area ranches for Army purposes, and joined the Army just after Pearl Harbor. He went through artillery training, then to the Burma Campaign with the MARS units, and has some great photos of that part in the book, too. Sandy, I'd send you this book on loan, if you like; let me know.
selewis
Society Member

Thanks John.

S
selewis
Society Member

John; I sent you an email via the forum the other day.

Sandy
FtValleyPS
Society Member

Sandy, for some reason I don't see it in my forum mailbox. Will you please try again?
Sam Cox
Society Member
Last Name: Cox

I own a pair of coveralls,3 strap boots,spurs and m1 helmet worn by Hames while he was in the army
I also have a signed copy of his book and some other papers relating to research.
Im not sure if he is still alive.I met him in LA at a signing back way back,it was after this he mailed me his stuff
Top man and top book

It pops up on evilbay often
FtValleyPS
Society Member

Sam, I just saw your post. It's amazing that you have Hame's old equipment - very nice! I have a friend named Bob Hoverton who lives in Frenchtown, Montana (just west of Missoula), who worked at the Nine Mile Pack Station (Remount Depot) for many years and who knows (or knew) Lee Hames from packing work. I will try to find out from him about Lee's status; the last I heard a few years ago Lee was alive and living in Florence, south of Missoula.