Revolution On The Rio Grande

Reviews and commentary on books, films, etc.
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

Revolution On The Rio Grande; Mexican Raids and Army Pursuits, 1916-1919, by Glenn Justice. The University of Texas at El Paso. Southwestern Studies No. 95. 1992

I had thought that this little book by Glenn Justice had been reviewed earlier, but I see where it has not been.

This book, only 100 pages in total length, is an excellent look at the Mexican Revolution period on the border with Texas. The Punitive Expedition receives so much attention in this era that it is often forgotten the long border with Mexico saw a lot of other military activity. This book provides a compact, well written, and horrifying look into this violent period. I highly recommend it.

I think some other participants here know Mr. Justice, and can likely add more than my short review here.

Pat
Pat Holscher
Society Member

Also, this book includes a few super period illustrations and photos. Not many, but they are interesting.

Pat
elcutachero Φ

The book is quite restricted in its time and place coverage. It covers essentially the Palomas area on the west side of the Big Bend and goes into much detail of a roundup of local residents by a patrol of Army and Texas Rangers. The Rangers took off some of the men and shot them in the brush. There was an outcry and a trial resulted. This may be off as I read the book when it first was published.

El Cutachero
Pat Holscher
Society Member

Originally posted by elcutachero
The book is quite restricted in its time and place coverage. It covers essentially the Palomas area on the west side of the Big Bend and goes into much detail of a roundup of local residents by a patrol of Army and Texas Rangers. The Rangers took off some of the men and shot them in the brush. There was an outcry and a trial resulted. This may be off as I read the book when it first was published.

El Cutachero
It is limited, intentionally, in the geographic expanse covered. And it does cover the incident you mention, although I don't recall a trial being discussed. It has been awhile since I've read it also, so I might just not recall the trial.

Pat
Pat Holscher
Society Member

Bumped up as it was recently mentioned.

Now out of print, unfortunately.