A Punitive Expedition Bibliography

Reviews and commentary on books, films, etc.
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

Joe suggested a Punitive Expedition Bibliography recently. I think it is an excellent idea, as this topic is of real interest to quite a few of us here. I'm going to go ahead and start this topic with collecting PE works in the thread. I'll link in some old reviews where they occur. Please feel free to add to it.

Pat
Pat Holscher
Society Member

Intervention! The United States and the Mexican Revolution, 1913-1917.
John S. D. Eisenhower. 1993. W. W. Norton & Company, Inc.

This history of the US and the Mexican Revolution gives a good account of the Punitive Expedition, as well as the Mexican Revolution and US reactions to it. I think it presents an excellent overall account of this intersting period in history. The review of it on this website is here:

topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4224

Pat
george seal
Past Society Member
Past Society Member

"A Strategic Examitation of the Punitive Expedition Into México, 1917-1917" by John Cyrulik

http://cgsc.cdm.oclc.org/coll2/image/42.pdf

US military thesis on the expedition in PDF format. Very interesting.
Pat Holscher
Society Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by george seal</i>
<br />"A Strategic Examitation of the Punitive Expedition Into México, 1917-1917" by John Cyrulik

http://cgsc.cdm.oclc.org/coll2/image/42.pdf

US military thesis on the expedition in PDF format. Very interesting.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Interesting indeed, thanks!

Pat
Pat Holscher
Society Member

Revolution On The Rio Grande; Mexican Raids and Army Pursuits; 1916-1919 by Glenn Justice. The University of Texas at El Paso, 1992.

A short, but very intersting book, on this period on the Texas border. The review of the book is here:

topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4252

Pat
george seal
Past Society Member
Past Society Member

The abstract of Cyrulik's work:

ABSTRACT
"A STRATEGIC EXAMINATION OF THE PUNITIVE EXPEDITION INTO MEXICO,
1916-1917, by MAJ John M. Cyrulik, 83 pages.
This thesis examines the strategy of the United States Army’s Punitive Expedition into
Mexico following the raid on Columbus, New Mexico, by Francisco “Pancho” Villa and
his followers on 9 March 1916. In analyzing this topic, the thesis focuses on the roles and
inter-relationship of the three men most responsible for the strategic direction of the
campaign. President Woodrow Wilson, Secretary of War Newton Diehl Baker, and Chief
of Staff of the Army Hugh Scott all played essential roles in the formation, conduct, and
ultimate outcome of the expedition. This study analyzes the orders authorizing the
expedition, and the limitations placed on the actions of the U.S. forces in Mexico by
President Wilson and War Department officials. This study concludes that the Punitive
Expedition, although largely an operational success, was a strategic miscalculation and
the potential benefits of the operation did not outweigh the risks of triggering a general
war with Mexico. A major war with Mexico was narrowly averted on two occasions by
the actions of Major General Scott and the steadfast determination of President Wilson."

By strategic he means what the Chilean Army calls Political-Strategic Level. That is, the strategy decided by government on the political use of the military instrument. Why go to war, and the limitations of thje war effort. This is not strategy in the sense of how to fight. He centers the study on the desition taking process at executive, war department and army chief of staff levels. It's an explanation of the political stituation (including press, Congress) and the political efects of the Expedition and the bilateral relations of US, Mexico. It's similar to what today would be considered the realm of the National Security Advisor.

From the Political point of view, this is simmilar to the War on Terror. I think this makes it interesting as a source for camparing the current war effort with the historical pressedents (in a general sense, that is. Not in the specifics).
Camp Little
Past Society Member
Past Society Member
Last Name: Wiley

The following are specific references to the Columbus Raid and PE that I have accumulated. There are many other studies in reference to the general border conflict, Arizona and the conflict, memoirs of life on the border by various participants and biographies of key participants that encompass the PE. I offer the following without comment as I have not completely read several of them.

The Great Pursuit-Pershing's Expedition to Destroy Pancho Villa by Herbert Molloy Mason Jr, Smithmark Publishers, 1970

Chasing Villa-The Last Campaign of the US Cavalry by Colonel Frank Tompkins, Military Service Publishing Company, 1934, High Lonesome Books, 1996

With Pershing in Mexico by Colonel H.A. Toulmin Jr., Military Service Publishing Co, 1935

Pershing's Mission in Mexico by Haldeen Braddy, Texas Western Press, 1966

Pancho Villa at Columbus-The Raid of 1916 by Haldeen Braddy, Texas Western College Press, 1965

Villa Raids Columbus, New Mexico, Mar. 9, 1916 by Bill Rakocy, Bravo Press, 1980

Villa Raids Columbus, New Mexico, Mar. 9, 1916 No. 2 by Bill Rakocy, Bravo Press, 1991

Lieutenant Patton and the American Army in the Mexican Punitive Expedition 1915-1916 by Vernon L. Williams, Kendall/Hunt Publishing Company, 1992

Campaigning in Mexico, 1916-Adventures of a Young Officer in General Pershing's Punitive Expedition by Jerome W. Howe, Arizona Pioneer's Historical Society, 1968

The Saber Retires: Pershing's Cavalry Campaign in Mexico, 1916, Issue No. 9 of The Smoke Signal, Tucson Corral of the Westerners, Spring 1964

La Expedicion Punitiva by Alberto Salinas Carranza, Ediciones Botas, Segunda Edicion, 1937

The Villista Prisoners of 1917-1917 by James W. Hurst, Yucca Free Press, 2000
Camp Little
Past Society Member
Past Society Member

Following are different studies about the Border Conflict for the 1910-1920 Period. These are not as much studies about the Revolution as it's impact on the Border during that period.

Border Fury-A Picture Postcard Record of Mexico's Revolution and US War Preparedness, 1910-1917 by Paul J Vanderwood & Frank N Samponaro, University of New Mexico Press, 1988

War Scare on the Rio Grande-Robert Runyon's Photographs of the Border Conflict, 1913-1916 by Frank N. Samponaro & Paul J. Vanderwood, Texas State Historical Association, 1992

Blood On the Border-The United States Army and the Mexican Irregulars by Clarence C. Clendenen, the Macmillan Company, 1969

Bloody Border-Riots, Battles and Adventures Along the Turbulent US-Mexican Borderlands by Douglas V. Meed, Westernlore Press, 1992

Border Conflict-Villistas, Carrancistas and the Punitive Expedition, 1915-1920 by Joseph A. Stout, Jr., Texas Christian University Press, 1999

Revolution on the Border-The United States and Mexico 1910-1920 by Linda B. Hall and Don M. Coerver, University of New Mexico Press, 1988

The Border and the Revolution-Clandestine Activities of the Mexican Revolution: 1910-1920 by Charles H. Harris III and Louis R. Sadler, High Lonesome Books, 1988

Wings and Saddles-The Air and Cavalry Punitive Expedition of 1919 by Stacy C. Hinkle, Monograph No. 19, Texas Western Press, University of Texas at El Paso, 1967
Pat Holscher
Society Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Camp Little</i>
<br />Following are different studies about the Border Conflict for the 1910-1920 Period. These are not as much studies about the Revolution as it's impact on the Border during that period.

Border Fury-A Picture Postcard Record of Mexico's Revolution and US War Preparedness, 1910-1917 by Paul J Vanderwood & Frank N Samponaro, University of New Mexico Press, 1988

War Scare on the Rio Grande-Robert Runyon's Photographs of the Border Conflict, 1913-1916 by Frank N. Samponaro & Paul J. Vanderwood, Texas State Historical Association, 1992

Blood On the Border-The United States Army and the Mexican Irregulars by Clarence C. Clendenen, the Macmillan Company, 1969

Bloody Border-Riots, Battles and Adventures Along the Turbulent US-Mexican Borderlands by Douglas V. Meed, Westernlore Press, 1992

Border Conflict-Villistas, Carrancistas and the Punitive Expedition, 1915-1920 by Joseph A. Stout, Jr., Texas Christian University Press, 1999

Revolution on the Border-The United States and Mexico 1910-1920 by Linda B. Hall and Don M. Coerver, University of New Mexico Press, 1988

The Border and the Revolution-Clandestine Activities of the Mexican Revolution: 1910-1920 by Charles H. Harris III and Louis R. Sadler, High Lonesome Books, 1988

Wings and Saddles-The Air and Cavalry Punitive Expedition of 1919 by Stacy C. Hinkle, Monograph No. 19, Texas Western Press, University of Texas at El Paso, 1967

Great list! Thanks!

What's that Wings and Saddles book like?

Pat
Pat Holscher
Society Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Camp Little</i>
<br />The following are specific references to the Columbus Raid and PE that I have accumulated. There are many other studies in reference to the general border conflict, Arizona and the conflict, memoirs of life on the border by various participants and biographies of key participants that encompass the PE. I offer the following without comment as I have not completely read several of them.

The Great Pursuit-Pershing's Expedition to Destroy Pancho Villa by Herbert Molloy Mason Jr, Smithmark Publishers, 1970

Chasing Villa-The Last Campaign of the US Cavalry by Colonel Frank Tompkins, Military Service Publishing Company, 1934, High Lonesome Books, 1996

With Pershing in Mexico by Colonel H.A. Toulmin Jr., Military Service Publishing Co, 1935

Pershing's Mission in Mexico by Haldeen Braddy, Texas Western Press, 1966

Pancho Villa at Columbus-The Raid of 1916 by Haldeen Braddy, Texas Western College Press, 1965

Villa Raids Columbus, New Mexico, Mar. 9, 1916 by Bill Rakocy, Bravo Press, 1980

Villa Raids Columbus, New Mexico, Mar. 9, 1916 No. 2 by Bill Rakocy, Bravo Press, 1991

Lieutenant Patton and the American Army in the Mexican Punitive Expedition 1915-1916 by Vernon L. Williams, Kendall/Hunt Publishing Company, 1992

Campaigning in Mexico, 1916-Adventures of a Young Officer in General Pershing's Punitive Expedition by Jerome W. Howe, Arizona Pioneer's Historical Society, 1968

The Saber Retires: Pershing's Cavalry Campaign in Mexico, 1916, Issue No. 9 of The Smoke Signal, Tucson Corral of the Westerners, Spring 1964

La Expedicion Punitiva by Alberto Salinas Carranza, Ediciones Botas, Segunda Edicion, 1937

The Villista Prisoners of 1917-1917 by James W. Hurst, Yucca Free Press, 2000

Great stuff here also. Was Alberto Salinas Carranza Pres. Carranza's brother?

Pat
Camp Little
Past Society Member
Past Society Member

The Wings and Saddles item is a booklet of 20 some pages. A neat side chapter of cross border raids, etc. written by a former pilot.

I don't know much about Alberto Salinas Carranza, but actually Salinas is patronymic (father's name) so his mother was a Carranza as the matronymic in Latin America follows the patronymic. It it often not used or abbreviated. Thus Alberto Salinas C. would be a common reference. Obviously he's not the former president's brother, but being related somehow would not be out of the question.
Camp Little
Past Society Member
Past Society Member

Here are some specific Arizona references. Most of the above references deal with New Mexico and Texas.

Buffalo Soldiers at Huachuca-Military Events in the American Southwest from 1910-1916, Huachuca Illustrated, Volume 1, 1993 (Available online)

The Forgotten Soldiers-Historical and Archaelogical Investigations of the Apache Scouts at Fort Huachuca, Arizona by Rein Vanderpot & Teresita Majewski, Statistical Research Inc. 1998

The Second California Infantry on the Border in 1916 by Edwin Pickett, Sacramento Corral of the Westerners, Publication No. 3, 1982

The History of AZ EE:9:109; A Military Camp in Nogales, Arizona, 1916 through 1918 by Ronald Gardiner, Cultural Resource Management Division, Arizona State Museum, The University of Arizona, 1987

The National Guard of California and The Mexican Border Service, 1916, Volume 10, (from the History of the National Guard of California)

With Scouts and Cavalry at Fort Apache by Col. H.B. Wharfield, Arizona Pioneers Historical Society, 1965

Emilio Kosterlitzky: Eagle of Sonora and the Southwest Border by Cornelius C. Smith, Jr., A.H. Clark Co, 1970
Camp Little
Past Society Member
Past Society Member

Here are some memoirs of military life on the border during the mobilisation period.

With the National Guard on the Border-Our National Military Problem by Captain Irving Goff McCann, C.V. Mosby Company, 1917

Watching and Waiting on the Border by Roger Batchelder, Houghton-Mifflin, 1917

The Origin and Fortunes of Troop B, Cavalry, Connecticut National Guard 1917 by James L. Howard, Case Lockwood and Brainard Co., 1921

Wisconsin Troops in Federalized National Guard- Mexican Border Service June 22 1916-Jan 19, 1917 by Lt. Col. Moses N. Thisted, Mexican Border Veterans Inc, circa 1979

As a Cavalryman Remembers by George Bridges Rodney, Caxton Printers, 1944

Album of Pictures Somewhere in Mexico-Relating to US Soldiers and Mexicans, J.D. Givens, 1916

Army Life-A Souvenir de Luxe of the Army in Mexico and on the Border circa 1917
Joseph Sullivan
Society Member
Last Name: Sullivan

Thus Alberto Salinas C. would be a common reference. Obviously he's not the former president's brother, but being related somehow would not be out of the question.

Yes, and although it is most probably a coincidence, he has two Presidential names -- Carranza, and Salinas. Both are somewhat clouded at this time...

Joe
Camp Little
Past Society Member
Past Society Member

Biographies of key participants during the Mexican Revolution and Border Conflict 1910-1920. Pat had requested info on biographies of Pancho Villa on another posting, so here goes:

Guerilla Warrior-The Early Life of John J. Pershing by Donald Smythe, Charles Scribners, 1973

Until the Last Trumpet Sounds-The Life of General of the Armies, John J. Pershing by Gene Smith, John Wiley & Sons, 1998

Pancho Villa by William Douglas Lansforn, Sherbourne Press, 1965

Cock of the Walk: The Legend of Pancho Villa by Haldeen Braddy, University of New Mexico Press, 1955

Pancho Villa Rides Again by Haldeen Braddy, Paisano Press, 1976

Centaur of the North by Manuel A. Machado Jr., Eakin Press, 1988

Pancho Villa: Strong Man of the Revolution by Larry A. Harris, High-Lonesome Books, 1989

Felipe Angeles and The Mexican Revolution by Matthew T. Slattery, Greenbriar Books

Alvaro Obregon-Power and Revolution in Mexico, 1911-1920 by Linda B. Hall, Texas A&M University Press, 1981

Ocho Mil Kilometros en Campana by Alvaro Obregon, Fondo de Cultura Economica, Segunda Edicion, 1959, reprinted 1970

Sam Dreben-The Fighting Jew by Art Leibson, Westernlore Press, 1996

Zapata and the Mexican Revolution by John Womack Jr., Alfred Knopf, 1969

Oh well, Zapata didn't have much to do with the Border or PE, but he was definitely a player.
Pat Holscher
Society Member

<br />Zapata and the Mexican Revolution by John Womack Jr., Alfred Knopf, 1969

Oh well, Zapata didn't have much to do with the Border or PE, but he was definitely a player.

The story of the Mexican Revolution cannot be told without Zapata. So, while it is true he never interacted with the US, and that he hardly ever left his own state, he was such a factor at the time the story cannot be told without him.

And he was a confederate of Villas, if a more romantic and admirable figure, and one with his own goals. It is possible to imagine Zapata achieving some success without Villa, but it isn't really possible to imagine it the other way around.

Pat
Pat Holscher
Society Member

Steve's really added a lot of great stuff to this list. Anyone researching this topic should have a big head start.

Pat
Joseph Sullivan
Society Member
Last Name: Sullivan

Actually, bibilographies are such important research tools, perhaps in a month or so we should consolodate and clean it up, and make it into a feature somewhere on the research side of the site. We could develop other bibs and do the same. Any support for this idea?

Joe
Pat Holscher
Society Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Joseph Sullivan</i>
<br />Actually, bibilographies are such important research tools, perhaps in a month or so we should consolodate and clean it up, and make it into a feature somewhere on the research side of the site. We could develop other bibs and do the same. Any support for this idea?

Joe

I think other Bibliographies are a great idea. We get quite a few folks who come through here researching one or more topics, and we won't always have everyone handy to chip in. This is good stuff.

With this in mind, I've started a thread on WWII cavalry bibliographies. I think the use of cavalry in WWII is a topic which comes as a real shock to a lot of people, who generally believe that the whole war was one of tanks and aircraft. When they do learn of cavalry's use in the war, they often look for more information which can be hard to find.

Pat
Camp Little
Past Society Member
Past Society Member

Here's some fiction about the Punitive Expedition and Border Conflict.

They Came to Cordura by Glendon Swarthout, Random House, 1958

The Tin Lizzie Troop by Glendon Swarthout, Doubleday, 1972

Last Reveille by David Morrell, Warner Books, 1977, Paperback 1994

Chihuahua 1916 by Otis Carney, Prentice Hall, 1980

The War Train-A Novel of 1916 by Brown Meggs, Athenum, 1991

Tom Mix & Pancho Villa by Clifford Irving, St. Martins Press, 1982