A Punitive Expedition Bibliography

Reviews and commentary on books, films, etc.
Joseph Sullivan
Society Member
Last Name: Sullivan

The Cavalry Journal at the time had a number of interesting items. my collection is very, very far from complete, but here are a couple of worthwhile bits:

<b>Cavalry Journal Editors; <i>The Colombus Raid</i>; Journal of the United States Cavalry Association Vol XXVII, No. 114; April 1917</b>
This is a compilation of eyewitness reports

<b>Fleming, LtC Lawrence J; <i>The Automatic Pistol in the Punative Expedition</i>Ibid</b>

<b>Shannon, Cpt james A; <i>With the Apache Scouts in Mexico</i> Ibid</b>

<b>Troxel, Cpt. O.C.; <i>The Tenth Cavalry in Mexico</i>; Journal of the United States Cavalry Association Vol XXVIII no. 116; October, 1917</b>

Joe
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

I thought I'd bump this up given the recent query on a PE book.

Pat
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

Camp Little wrote:
Wings and Saddles-The Air and Cavalry Punitive Expedition of 1919 by Stacy C. Hinkle, Monograph No. 19, Texas Western Press, University of Texas at El Paso, 1967
How is this book? This actually deals with the 1919, much smaller, action in Mexico, rather than the 1916-17 one. Has anyone read this?
MikeBlakeUK
Last Name: Blake

I originally missed that this one is already listed (I was thrown by the books being by title rather than by author) but I will leave it in because the original posting didn't mention what makes this book different. it is well worth reading because it focuses on the Mexican side of events rather than the US perspective. As such it is a welcome piece and full of fascinating information about the Mexican efforts to deal with Villa:

Stout, Joseph A. Border Conflict: Villistas, Carrancistas and the Punitive Expedition 1915-1920. Texas University Press, 1999.

The other book I would have expected to see here, but don't believe it is, deals exclusively with the US cavalry's clothing and weapons in a very thorough and detailed way, with descriptions and photographs of every piece of kit and clothing for man and beast (it deals with the cavalry only, though trucks, motorcycles and aeroplanes are also mentioned):

Machado, William C. The Pursuit of Pancho Villa: Uniforms & Equipment of the Last Campaign 1916. Ontario CA: Kengraphics Printing, 1993.

To also respond briefly to the question about the 1919 Aero book, it is short but interesting, and throws light on an incident that was wholly new to me. Whilst the angle is from the 'aeroplane viewpoint' there is a sufficient coverage of the events as to provide a clear picture of what happened.
MikeBlakeUK

La Expedicion Punitiva by Alberto Salinas Carranza, Ediciones Botas, Segunda Edicion, 1937

I have copies of notes taken from this work by Clendenen for his book but they start at p240 or so. Can anyone who has read it tell me whether the earlier pages are worth trying to get a look at - by which I suppose I mean do they add to ones understanding of events by giving the Mexican perspective?

There are copies in two libraries in the UK (British Library London and Bodlian Oxford), and as either would require a day trip by train for me I am reluctant to do so only to find the earlier pages of of little value.

Thanks
JV Puleo
Society Member

Or, you could buy a copy.

http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=sl ... 20punitiva

I'm not certain where you are in the UK but at £40 I suspect it would be a lot less expensive than a train ticket...

jp
MikeBlakeUK

Thanks PJ, you are right!

I am very tempted to buy a copy anyway...but having got notes for half of it, it would be annoying to find the rest doesn't add anything! I was rather hoping someone who had read it might be able to advise.

Again thanks for the Bookseller link - seems amazing how cheap the book is.

Mike