A. Dawson, Real War Horses 1814-1914

Reviews and commentary on books, films, etc.
Jagdterier
Last Name: Igielski

Mon May 01, 2017 2:04 pm

Hi everyone! It is my first post on this excelent forum. Nice to meet You.

I want to initiate a discussion about Anthony Dawson's fresh book. The Author is one of the representatives of young generation of scholars of history of British cavalry in XIX c. Real War Horses: The Experience of the British Cavalry 1814 - 1914 is in my opinion intresting book, but rather only in situation if someone want to semi-source book, consisting from relations. I am not an expert in subject of British cavalry, so I am very intrested in question, how many new information he add through this title to historiography of this subject. In UK were published a lot of books about their cavalry and moundet forces from Napoleonic era to WW1 (Badsey's thesis about period of reforms 1880-1918, Sir Anglesy's monumental 8 volume series and other). That is why I want to ask You, what You think about this title? Is something new in Dawson's book, which was not said earlier in military historiography?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/cka/Real-War ... 1473847079

Regards
Pat Holscher
Website Admin
Medals: 2
Last Name: Holscher
:
Society Member Donation - Origin

Tue May 02, 2017 7:35 pm

As a note, it's unlikely the Western Hemisphere readers here have run across this title yet, so we'll have to count on input from European readers, fi they've caught up with this one.
Pat

Animadvertistine, ubicumque stes, fumum recta in faciem ferri?