Hervey; 6th Light Dragoon Series

Reviews and commentary on books, films, etc.
Jim Bewley
Society Member
Last Name: Bewley

I loved the Sharpe series and when I learned of this series, I jumped right in. Read the first one and half of the second. They both have a great story line, but, to me, it was never developed. So much time was spent, talking about the food served at dinner, the birds, the views, the weather and all other background filler, that I forgot what the plot actually was. :lol:

Sadly disappointed, but this is jut my view. Others might well disagree.
Joseph Sullivan
Society Member
Last Name: Sullivan

Well, I dunno. I have British first editions of ALL of them so far and have liked them very well indeed. The only real weakness to my taste is in his handling of romance and family life later in the series, which falls pretty flat. Still, I like them well enough to keep looking forward to the next installment and ordering them up from England as they come out.

Matter of personal taste, I guess. No right or wrong.
Jim Bewley
Society Member

Joe, I spoke too soon it seems. By the middle of book two, I thought I had actually been at sea for six months and that is when I posted. I kept reading and once he got to Cintalpore it picked up. A couple of sub plots developed, a bit of mystery and I could not put it down. Book three is also developing well, so I guess the author found his rhythm, or I adjusted to it. I shall read all eleven of them.

Jim
Jim Bewley
Society Member

Into book six Joe and I see what you mean. He is getting his personal life a bit complicated. I like his style, even though he is still a Captain because of it. :D
Kentucky Horseman
Last Name: Rudolph

I just read the first one and I thought it was very good, one of the best historical novels that I have read.
Jim Bewley
Society Member

The newest one is out for pre order now.
Alex
Society Member
Last Name: Mezentsev

Jim,

I like those series, though read only a two or three books. Storytelling is not too hasty, not too heavy. But I still prefer Patrick O'Brien series about Jack Aubrey and HMS Surprise for adventure romance. :)