Reviews and commentary on books, films, etc.
Joseph Sullivan
Society Member
Last Name: Sullivan

I am about a third of the way through this excellent new book about the lead-up to WW1, especially from the British point of view. Deeply researched, and written by Alan Mallinson, the author of the Hervy 6th Dragoons series (and himself a British Brigadier) this is very readable, and very alarming and depressing. I'll tell you more as we go, but this is hard to beat.
Jim Bewley
Society Member
Last Name: Bewley

Thanks Joe. I have read all the Shape series, but had not heard about this one. Just ordered book #1. :thumbup:

Jim
Jim Bewley
Society Member
Last Name: Bewley

I have started the first book and like it. Now I have ten more to read, which is a good thing.

I notice that the first one has some shades of "O'Malley The Irish Dragoon" in it. I'm guessing that old book must have given the author some inspiration. :thumbup:

Jim
Joseph Sullivan
Society Member
Last Name: Sullivan

I've now finished "1914 Fight The Good Fight." Over, excellent from cover to cover. It begins with a lot of detail about the precursors to the war, beginning with the early 19th century Treaty Of London guaranteeing Belgian neutrality, and works up through the various theories and plans of the eventual antagonists -- even to why the assassination of the Archduke really mattered outside Austria-Hungary. It gives much detail about long-developed German plans to mount a massive, encircling offensive to conquer France when the opportunity presented itself, and the (in retrospect astonishing) militaristic attitudes of the continental powers. If then gives great detail of the early weeks of the war.

I have no idea how ignorant I had been about these things.

I also must say, as I finish the book, may God bless us one and all, if we are to survive in a world led by such fools and egotists.