Finding Everett Ruess

Reviews and commentary on books, films, etc.
Larry Emrick
Society Member
Last Name: Emrick

Gentlemen:
I am in the middle of reading Finding Everett Ruess, the gripping story of a young artist, poet and solo wanderer who disappeared in the U.S. Southwest in 1934.
The story of his travels with burros and horses, and mysterious disappearance, continues to spark interest and detailed examination but has yet to determine how, where or why he disappeared at the age of only 20.
One of the photos in the book reveals contents of a grave site that includes what sparks my imagination as the horn and broken pommel of a mule saddle . I have never seen such a saddle and the view of what might be the horn is not complete so I might be completely off base on this one. The text does say that a saddle was found at the site but does not elaborate. Interesting to speculate however.
The book is a very good read, but could do with a few less of Ruess" adolescent prattlings and a few more - in fact a lot more - maps to better outline his travels.
It is very reminiscent of Into the Wild, the story of yet another youthful wanderer who ended up dying alone in Alaska. In that case we know what happened. In the Ruess case, nothing.
Larry
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

Everett Ruess's story is a really weird and compelling, which is probably why it still commands so much attention even after so many years. I heard a radio interview of some authors and experts on the it some years ago, and it is quite the mystery.