Armeesattel 25

Reiter
Last Name: --

Yes it is new; I think I wrote that?

I had a saddler who made it for me in Czech Republic.

Horrido!

Nicole
Kurt Hughes
Society Member

Can anyone confirm that the following ebay item is German, if so what period is it from and which saddle it would be used with?
http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-GERMAN-ARMY-SW ... dZViewItem

Thanks
Kurt.
jan
Society Member

It is German,for both armeesattlel 89 or 25 and was used until around 1941. I have the same one here on my armeesattel 25.

Jan
Kurt Hughes
Society Member

Jan

Thank you for the prompt reply and the information, my main reason for asking is that I have one but never knew what it was for. Mine has some unit markings and is for sale should anyone need one.

Thanks
Kurt.
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

Here's a website with a collection of photo illustrating the Armeesattel 25 equipments. I don't think this site has ever been linked in here before.

http://www.techmili.com/Logistique/Chev ... hevaux.htm
Tom Muller
Society Member
Last Name: Muller

Another website with good photos of German WWII horse tack. Pat, you wanted to know about the horse goggles we had in SWA. If I remember correctly I found a few pairs in an old stable of ours before we built the new stables for the M-APU. Page through the Armeesattel 25 pages and you'll find them (page 2 I think). Looks like some Jerry took them along and left the things for us to use (well we I never did, although I did a test run once, while transporting horses in an open trailer). Or were they left overs from WWI? Somebody must have modified them though, cause they had a leather strap to attach it to the halter.

Tom
Tom Muller
Society Member

I just found a saddlemaker who builds new Armeesattel 25's in the original 7 sizes. Unfortunately they do not have any photos on the net, the only pics they have show a modified version of the AS 25 which has exactly the same sizes (all 7 sizes that very initially built), but is a bit shorter (the seat stays the same). Look at: Dienstsattel P16K

http://www.witex-gebrwinz.de/42035.html

Tom
tmarsh
Society Member
Last Name: Marsh

Curious Tom, how much does he get for one? The predevi looks simalar to a Mac. Is the harness the military model and does one size fit a lot of horses? Someone else makes the 25 can't remember who. I think it was also called a Hanovarian model that i goggled. Regards Tom
Tom Muller
Society Member

Tom,

they make the AS 25 for almost 2000 €. I don't know about the harness, I'll have to find out.

Tom
Barefoot
Last Name: Csikos

I'm looking for detaild schematics for Armeesattel 25. Do such exist? There were (are) such specifications for the hungarian military saddles.
I have to restore an Armeesattel from 1944 and the flaps are missing.
tmarsh
Society Member

Please email through the forum, I may of be of some help. Tom
Reiter
Last Name: --

Here I tried to make photos of my horse with the field equipment of the German cavalry from the year 1941.
Kavallerieausrüstung WK2.JPG
Kavallerieausrüstung WK2.JPG (98.38 KiB) Viewed 9050 times
The weight of the complete equipment my horse is carrying on this photos is 30,6 kg - but with the exception of one horseshoe (Heereshufeisen 32) the bags (Packtaschen 34) we used were empty!
Kavallerieausrüstung WW2.JPG
Kavallerieausrüstung WW2.JPG (105.55 KiB) Viewed 9050 times
Horrido!

Nicole
Pat Holscher
Society Member

Nice photos, thanks!
jan
Society Member

I found another armeesattel 25, size 3, the tree is dated 1940 with leather seat size 3 from 1942, four girth straps are replaced with new Stübben ones to make it safer to use.
Dismanteld view of it, most of the original feldgrau paint is still on the tree.

Markings,

Jan
Pat Holscher
Society Member

jan wrote:I found another armeesattel 25, size 3, the tree is dated 1940 with leather seat size 3 from 1942, four girth straps are replaced with new Stübben ones to make it safer to use.
Dismanteld view of it, most of the original feldgrau paint is still on the tree.

Markings,

Jan

Very nice example. Thanks.
Barefoot

Didn't see much action I guess :)
I have to repair two of these now and some point are not clear to me. For example the little strap joining the two triangular loop on the front of the pommel. What is it there for? Was it present on every saddle?
The loops at the base of the cantle are different. The right one is fixed under the cantle reinforcement while the left one seems improwised but it looks like that on every armeesattel 25 I saw. Question is the same: what is it there for, and is it standard?
My specimens have only one screw holding the rear part of the flap. There's no socket for another one. Simplified for cost cutting?
tmarsh
Society Member

The strap at the pommel i believe is an emergency strap in which one could grab if needed to quickly. i believe it was standard on all saddles but some are gone after use. The arrange of the loops near the sidebars are not symetric I believe this was for how the saddle was packed with specific equipment. How is the reconstruction going? Tom
Barefoot

I managed to put my hands on an original and copied the pattern of the flap. I'll have to make a wooden model of the knee roll and a counter piece for molding the leather. The saddles I usually work with doesn't have a molded flap (those have a molded seat what is even more tricky :)). I stripped the saddles and I'm cleaning the trees os rust and greasy dirt right now. I'll have to make some minor repairs with epoxy and than the trees are ready for painting.
tmarsh
Society Member

The saddle was designed in the twenties, and at that time or soon after they were using a rifle boot on that nearside area. I think that maybe the dees on the nearside were set at a location to accommadate the rifle boot. Going through some photos last night I found that trees up to 1942 had the two screws for the flap. 1943 and after only had 1 screw. Good luck with the saddles. Tom
jan
Society Member

This is the tool saddle bag for mounted farriers, it can be attached both on the left or right side at the rear of the Armeesattel. The non mounted farriers were issued a simpler flat tool case with a shoulder carrying strap.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The contents are listed on a label inside the closing flap.

The tools are stored in a leather folding holder that can be pulled out. Some items are still missing here.

Jan