Harness saddle repair kit

A forum for general topics and questions.
Joseph Sullivan
Website Admin
Medals: 2
:
Society Member Donation - 6th

Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:36 am

You know, in thinning and selling the collection, I am spending more time with it and handling it more than I have for many years. Good fun. I have another little item that I picked up close to 40 years ago from the late, lamented Manion's catalog auction house. In fact, I got quite a bit from Ron Manion. Of course, the internet and specifically Ebay put him out of business long ago. The other dealer I likes and used to call and talk with was Norm Flayderman. I still have some of Norm's catalogs. Norm was an expert's expert. However, you never got a bargain from Norm unless he was having a warehouse sale. With Ron Manion's auction format, you often got bargains, but you had to know your stuff because the consignor and Ron's guys often mislabeled stuff. For example, I have a copper bugle. They are scarce and were made at a time of alloy shortages. It was heavily tarnished, Manion's guys listed it as "annodized," which seemed extremely unlikely for a musical horn. I knew in the back of my mind about the copper ones, looked at the picture, guessed rightly and got it for reserve price (no idea now how much that was). It is on a shelf next to me right now.

Anyway, I picked up an unmarked military leather repair kit from Ron. It is a little olive-painted steel box with flax thread, rosin, harness needles, a handle for the needles and a couple of other tools in it. I have never known the dates or nomenclature for it. Does anybody in our group know about these things?
Joe
Couvi
Society Member
Medals: 3
:
Society Member Site Content Donation - 5th

Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:39 am

I think they are called a ’Harness Mending Kit.’ This doesn’t answer your question, but is a neat manual none-the-less:

Training Manual, United States Army, The Saddler, OQMD, Washington, GPO, 1926

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id= ... up;seq=12
Couvi

"Equi non rapui"
Joseph Sullivan
Website Admin
Medals: 2
:
Society Member Donation - 6th

Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:56 am

Yes, really is. thanks.

J