Possible Charrette Marocaine (French Army Moroccan Cart)

A forum for general topics and questions.
Ralph Lovett
Society Member
Last Name: Lovett

A friend has found an old single horse cart that looks a bit like the French Army Moroccan Cart mle/1913. The wheels have wooden hubs, as does the mle/13, and 14 spokes. However, the hub does not seem to be the typical French Army pattern. I have a technical drawing of the mle/13 on my web page and have attached a copy along with an image from this following French language web forum ( https://forum.pages14-18.com/viewtopic.php?t=41336)

The cart that was found, like the mle/13, has the metal brake set to the rear and the four vertical wooden boards on each side of the bed. The heavy spring suspension looks suspiciously like a military piece of equipment but is not evident in the technical drawings or photos of the mle/13. The two ridge poles/limber poles for the single horse are very much like the mle/13. The springs mounted to the axel look a bit more like the mle/1898 (figure 99 http://www.lovettartillery.com/French_A ... _WW1_.html )

This is the link to the French Army drawings of wagons and harnessing on my web page. The mle/13 is figure 96: http://www.lovettartillery.com/French_A ... _WW1_.html

I have not found much detail on similar carts in other nation's service such as Italy, but am curious if it might be a match for a specific type in military service. Of course there is the possibility that it is just a civilian cart, and civilian carts in Morocco do look quite a lot like this one. The metal bakes are the thing that sets this one apart to me.

I hope this is of interest and if any of you find any additional information it would be greatly appreciated.

R/

Ralph Lovett
Attachments
mle13_1.jpg
mle13_1.jpg (54.85 KiB) Viewed 1865 times
mle4.jpg
mle4.jpg (48.83 KiB) Viewed 1865 times
mle3_.jpg
mle3_.jpg (55.01 KiB) Viewed 1865 times
mle2.jpg
mle2.jpg (48.11 KiB) Viewed 1865 times
Charrette%20marocaine.jpg
Charrette%20marocaine.jpg (47.35 KiB) Viewed 1865 times
M_C_mle1913.jpg
M_C_mle1913.jpg (6.39 KiB) Viewed 1865 times
selewis
Society Member
Last Name: Lewis

Hi Ralph,

Everything I know about this subject I've learned from this forum and I don't know much. That's a reflection of my slow learning not the the great amount of knowledge that can be gleaned here from you and others. But I do wonder if a military vehicle would have the ornamental features that yours does, like the scalloped ends on the side boards or the applied diamond at the rear and half diamond under the seat, none of which appear to have any utilitarian function. I suppose the diamond shaped bats may serve as reinforcements to deter splitting. What about the scallops though? Do you know of any precedents for this sort of detail in other vehicles?

Nice find. I look forward to seeing it after you perform your magic on it.

Sandy
Ralph Lovett
Society Member
Last Name: Lovett

Sandy

I think the box is entirely ornamental and added later.

R/

Ralph
selewis
Society Member
Last Name: Lewis

Thanks, Ralph. I'm impressed with your eye for for seeing through the overburden to the possible ore beneath. I hope your hunch plays out.

Sandy
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

selewis wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:40 am Thanks, Ralph. I'm impressed with your eye for for seeing through the overburden to the possible ore beneath. I hope your hunch plays out.

Sandy
I have to agree with that. I'd have walked by this and just thought it was some odd farm cart.