What ID on this saddle carbine holster/boot?

A forum for general topics and questions.
Todd
Society Member
Last Name: Holmes

Posted for J.S.:
js_2018_boot.jpg
js_2018_boot.jpg (176.54 KiB) Viewed 1967 times
Kurt Hughes
Society Member

It is a pattern 1885 carbine boot.

Kurt
Todd
Society Member
Last Name: Holmes

Curious - when did the brass throat reinforce start showing up for these?
Kurt Hughes
Society Member

The brass throat version is the pattern 1886, how long it took for them to start replacing the 1885 I do not know, I do not have my references at hand.

Kurt
Joseph Sullivan
Society Member
Last Name: Sullivan

Kurt:

Was there more than one variation on the 1885 boot?
Kurt Hughes
Society Member

Hi Joe

Yes there is the first and second pattern 1885 carbine boot, what differentiates the two is the placement of the saddlebag stud suspension strap, on the first pattern the strap is near the seam, the second pattern it was moved forward four inches. Although reading Dušan's book Arming and Equipping the United States Cavalry, the distinction of first and second pattern is not a term used by the arsenal at the time.

Then there is the 1886 pattern carbine boot that is similar but has the brass throat so not to damage the carbine rearsight, the 1886 pattern is also longer than the 1885 with a repositioned support strap.

In the collector world all the above boots have been referred to as the model 1885, or the pattern 1886 being referred to as the model 1887.
I hope this helps.
Kurt
Joseph Sullivan
Society Member
Last Name: Sullivan

Of course, Dusan's book! I bought it on release and did not think to look this up in it. Thanks for your response and for reminding me. I am radically pruning my collection. that boot gets listed tonight.

I actually had far more stuff than I remembered once I dug into the boxes. D and I have been child-free for a bit over a year now after 35 consecutive years of child and adolescent rearing. So we are now actually taking the time to focus, organize clear up and clear out. I had to come to terms with the fact that my displace space is limited and I cannot turn our working tack room into a museum. So I am holding onto some fun 20th century stuff and my 1859 and related and selling the duplicates and the Indian Wars stuff. Have sold six sets of bags, some rare, and sold or selling seven saddles of which three are duplicate Philips (am keeling the best of the Philips). Kind of on a tear. Thought about it for years as the boxes stayed in storage but finally broke inertia and getting it done.