Rare saddlebags

A forum for general topics and questions.
Joseph Sullivan
Society Member
Last Name: Sullivan

Friends:

Down in the sale section I have links to some rare or scarce saddle bags I've listed on ebay out of my collection (1872, 1874, 1879, 1885). I mention it here because many of you are not actively collecting and therefore may skip the "for sale: section. However, the detailed photos at the link are well worth a look. In fact if CG Todd thinks it worthwhile, I could give him the high res images for our material culture reference pages. Or we cold post some up there -- CG Todd's call. I'll bet we could spur some discussion about the evolution of US military saddle bags as we look at these. Right down Ricky T's alley, I'd say.

For what it's worth, there seems to be more interest in cavalry stuff this year. It remains to be seen whether these rare and expensive items will move, but last week I sold two of my four Phillips saddles, both of which were serviceable, but neither of which was in prime collectible condition. They did not sell for a bundle, but they sold readily. I also moved a pair of Phillips pommel pouches, and pair of Phillips cantle bags. Both were in prime condition with all straps, and they drew fair prices -- not as high as a few years back, but not bad.
Todd
Society Member
Last Name: Holmes

I think that would be fab idea - would be happy to post any pics.
Joseph Sullivan
Society Member

I'll pull some together this coming week. the ones on the auction site are vanishing. I must have priced them too low, because the nearly complete '09 bridle (everything except link strap and bradoon rein, and the '79 and '85 bags were snapped up at the max within the first day. I'll be posting various 20th century officer's field and training saddles, and a Patton saber wooden training dummy.
Joseph Sullivan
Society Member

BTW, buried but soon accessible, I have an arsenal Mac-Whitman. Probably will not sell it but assume they are rare enough that we'd like pix?