An ideal cavalry horse

A forum for general topics and questions.
Philip S
Society Member
Last Name: Sauerlender

This picture from the 1921 edition of the Cavalry School annual "The Rasp" illustrates how between the two world wars the cavalry came to prefer a thoroughbred type horse.
An ideal cavalry horse-1921 Rasp.jpg
An ideal cavalry horse-1921 Rasp.jpg (699.68 KiB) Viewed 1767 times
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

Nice photo!
Couvi
Society Member

I read somewhere that in WWI the French complained that the U.S. Army used only artillery horses and not the long-legged cavalry horses the French were accustomed to. Does this reflect that change?
Todd
Society Member
Last Name: Holmes

Couvi wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:00 am I read somewhere that in WWI the French complained that the U.S. Army used only artillery horses and not the long-legged cavalry horses the French were accustomed to. Does this reflect that change?
Seems like an odd complaint, given that the AEF was only using horses (for all intents and purposes) for drawing their artillery. The majority of cavalry was either planted on the US southern border, or converted to artillery before shipping out to France.
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

Todd wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:47 am
Couvi wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:00 am I read somewhere that in WWI the French complained that the U.S. Army used only artillery horses and not the long-legged cavalry horses the French were accustomed to. Does this reflect that change?
Seems like an odd complaint, given that the AEF was only using horses (for all intents and purposes) for drawing their artillery. The majority of cavalry was either planted on the US southern border, or converted to artillery before shipping out to France.
Indeed the only full cavalry units in the AEF that wasn't organic cavalry drew its horses from a French veterinary hospital.