1980s Yugoslavian Horse Gas Mask

A forum for general topics and questions.
Ralph Lovett
Society Member
Last Name: Lovett

The Yugoslavian military and the independent nations that came from its dissolution continued the use of horses and mules into the 1991-1995 civil war that tore the country apart. This military continued to develop pack saddles until the 1977 and chemical protective mask for horses and mules until the same time frame. Many are marked with 1980s dates. I have attached a photo of a Yugoslavian equine chemical protective mask I have recently gotten. If you have additional information on this type, I would be interested to hear about it.

R/

Ralph Lovett
Attachments
YUGO_Horse_ChemProMask1.jpg
YUGO_Horse_ChemProMask1.jpg (703.03 KiB) Viewed 1711 times
TL Foster
Society Member
Last Name: Foster

Great find. Does this thing have more than one filter? If not, it's the equine version of the US M9 Chem mask. From personal experience, it was horrible to work in, and I mean just the mask.
Cheers
Tom
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

Interesting to see a full head mask like that. This is the only example of that I've ever seen.
Ralph Lovett
Society Member
Last Name: Lovett

The mask has two standard chemical protective mask filters for the Yugoslavian soldier's mask. The angle of the image just cuts off the view of the second filter. I have not seen rubberized coverings for the rest of the horse, as with the German WW2 Equine chemical protective equipment for horses. The example I have also did not come with a bag. It was jus the mask by itself.
TL Foster
Society Member
Last Name: Foster

The mind boggles at the thought of any animal just being in a situation requiring such equipment. The hood suggests the existence of a complete ensemble similar to what a soldier would wear. The heat load generated by a horse just standing in it would likely make it a casualty very quickly. The gear I used in the 80s and 90s, limited me to a work time of less than an hour, regardless of the ambient temperature. Then there was the required decontamination. It goes on and on. It would make a spectacular display if you could find all the parts and put on a dummy horse. I bet the Chinese and Russians have something similar, only not near the quality. Bet if you made a trip to Bosnia or Albania you find it all for cheap. :problem:
Cheers
Tom