Picket Lines

Steve Haupt
Last Name: Haupt

Greetings,
A group of the Golden State Draft Horse and Mule Club are planning a trip this summer through Ft. Lander Wyoming to Ft. Hall Idaho. We will be traveling the Lander Road the first Federal road built for emigrants headed West. This will be a wagon trip with no riding stock and the wagons may or may not have rubber wheels.
The discussion is how to picket 30 head of mules and horses. Some want to set up individual electric fence pens, some want to hobble, some want to tie off to wagons and some want to stakeout.. How do we reduce our "footprint" so the "Federales" are happy?
How did the Armies of the world picket? Can you provide any diagrams or specific instructions?
Thanks,
Steve Haupt
HauptsValleyFarm.com
roy elderkin
Society Member
Last Name: elderkin

Steve did you receive my reply to your email. Somewhere their is a drawing of a Picket line adopted by the British Arm. It may be on the site McClellans and Grey's Scouts, I am sure some time back I was asked the same question. Check first there I will try to explain if it is not there.
Roy. .
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

I have a photo up here somewhere of long lines being used by the 115h Cavalry in the 1930s.

I'll come back and post in more detail when I have a chance.
Pat Holscher
Society Member

On your route, do you mean you are starting at Lander Wyoming? There was no Ft. Lander, even though Lander was named for a Gen. Lander. Lander was the site of Ft. Brown and Ft. Auger. The nearest "fort" town is Ft. Washakie.
Pat Holscher
Society Member

Looking up the Lander Trail (which I'll do in more depth later), it looks like your jumping off point is south of Lander by some distance, probably going around Green Mountain. So I don't think you'll go through Lander at all.

Again, I'll look up the trail route as now I'm pretty curious. You'll go over South Pass, as you know.
Steve Haupt
Last Name: Haupt

Greetings,
To Roy your email did not come through yet.
I have just come back from an initial meeting where the map was shown. A copy of that map will be forwarded to me and I'll post when I receive it.
To Pat the start is to be Casper heading through Lander and Burnt Ranch. I did not know of South Pass. There is to be a scouting trip early June with the trip to start mid July. On a family vacation to Yellowstone National Park we did not like the weather forecast so pulled out early and avoid a 24" snowfall...that was June 22.
Cheers,
Steve Haupt
Steve@HauptsValleyFarm.com
Pat Holscher
Society Member

Steve Haupt wrote:Greetings,
To Roy your email did not come through yet.
I have just come back from an initial meeting where the map was shown. A copy of that map will be forwarded to me and I'll post when I receive it.
To Pat the start is to be Casper heading through Lander and Burnt Ranch. I did not know of South Pass. There is to be a scouting trip early June with the trip to start mid July. On a family vacation to Yellowstone National Park we did not like the weather forecast so pulled out early and avoid a 24" snowfall...that was June 22.
Cheers,
Steve Haupt
Steve@HauptsValleyFarm.com
Presumably you aren't riding (by horse) from Casper to Lander?
Pat Holscher
Society Member

I bumped up an old thread on picket lines. I think my old photo of really long 115th lines may be a dead link, so I'll have to reload those once I find them.

I'm really interested on the details of your trip. Very scenic country. If your jump off point is Burnt Ranch, you'll avoid South Pass in terms of riding.

For those who have never been over South Pass, it's spectacular. It's also somewhat dangerous. South Pass is where I learned that a mobile crane can in fact accelerate from very slow to 90 mph through gravity alone, and that the giant tires from mobile equipment, if they depart that equipment, can roll for seven miles on their own.
Pat Holscher
Society Member

Steve Haupt wrote: To Pat the start is to be Casper heading through Lander and Burnt Ranch.
Burnt Ranch:

http://wyoshpo.state.wy.us/trailsdemo/9thcrossing.htm
Pat Holscher
Society Member