Can You ID This Horseman?

Lady Eowyn

This photo is a ancestor of mine. I've been trying to find more about him I.e. what cavalry, what war, rank; really whatever I can find, but I haven't been very successful. There is nothing written on the back except his last name, Storch. Does anyone recognize anything about this guy? The Storches in my family came from Germany at the end of the 19th century; I have the marriage certificate for one of them who was married in 1905 in Brooklyn. Any info would be appreciated!
Attachments
edited_1448497145512.jpg
edited_1448497145512.jpg (416.5 KiB) Viewed 2685 times
Todd
Society Member
Last Name: Holmes

We had a similiar photo recently, that showed much of the same details, so I think we can say pretty definitely that this fellow is a sergeant ( Zugsführer ) in a cavalry unit of the Austro-Hungarian empire. The lace-wrapped stirrups are typical of A-H mounted units. This type of collar insignia was worn from 1867 to 1918 - from the post, equipment, and general appearance, I would suggest an early WW1 image. It's different to see a full horse equipment packed, and no real equipment on the trooper.
Lady Eowyn

Thank you very much. I thought it was a little strange he had no weapons, but who knows what the circumstances were.