Saddle ID, Preparedness Parade

Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

This photo is of parade Marshal C. H. Sherril at a pre World War One preparedness parade. I have no idea who is is.

What saddle is in use here?
Attachments
Marshal Sherril
Marshal Sherril
21653r.jpg (44.15 KiB) Viewed 5539 times
Pat Holscher
Society Member

Spiffy looking bunch, I must note.
Rick Throckmorton
Society Member
Last Name: Throckmorton

Pat,
The pommel makes me think it to be one of the Whitman types.
Rick T
Brian P.
Last Name: Petruskie

I was going to guess Whitman, too. It looks like he is riding a full officer's rig. Can anyone make out what number or device is in the corner of the saddle cloth?
Couvi
Society Member

Brian P. wrote:I was going to guess Whitman, too. It looks like he is riding a full officer's rig. Can anyone make out what number or device is in the corner of the saddle cloth?
The device looks like the letter 'C' or the Commissary crescent.
mmoore
Last Name: Moore

Gen. Charles Hitchcock Sherrill, appears to be an interesting fellow and sat a horse nicely. Recommend reading the obit and information at the two links.

"In 1916 he organized and was grand marshal of the preparedness parade …"

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... 261936.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_H. ... mbassador)

Gen. Charles Hitchcock Sherrill (April 13, 1867, Washington, D.C. - June 25, 1936, Paris, France) was American politician, diplomat and sport officer.

Son of New York lobbist and state politician Charles H. Sherrill and Sarah Fulton (Wynkoop) Sherrill, Sherrill studied Yale University, called to the New York State Bar and became a New York City based lawyer.
During World War I he served as a Brigadier General and adjutant general with the New York National Guard. He was appointed U.S. Minister to Argentina from 1909 to 1910, serving an important role in securing the contracts for two Rivadavia-class battleships during the South American dreadnought race, and United States Ambassador to Turkey from 1932 to 1933.

Sherrill died in Paris, France in 1936.
Pat Holscher
Society Member

mmoore wrote:Gen. Charles Hitchcock Sherrill, appears to be an interesting fellow and sat a horse nicely. Recommend reading the obit and information at the two links.

"In 1916 he organized and was grand marshal of the preparedness parade …"

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... 261936.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_H. ... mbassador)

Gen. Charles Hitchcock Sherrill (April 13, 1867, Washington, D.C. - June 25, 1936, Paris, France) was American politician, diplomat and sport officer.

Son of New York lobbist and state politician Charles H. Sherrill and Sarah Fulton (Wynkoop) Sherrill, Sherrill studied Yale University, called to the New York State Bar and became a New York City based lawyer.
During World War I he served as a Brigadier General and adjutant general with the New York National Guard. He was appointed U.S. Minister to Argentina from 1909 to 1910, serving an important role in securing the contracts for two Rivadavia-class battleships during the South American dreadnought race, and United States Ambassador to Turkey from 1932 to 1933.

Sherrill died in Paris, France in 1936.
Interesting personality, thanks!

Reading the Wikipedia entry it seems that he fit into that class of Americans who were impressed with fascism in the 30s. Almost all of those individuals woke up by 1940 and presumably he would have also had he lived, although he seems to have been well educated and experienced enough that he should have known better at the time.
mmoore
Last Name: Moore

Yes, I saw that and some other comments. I was going to write that he was an interesting man with some faults, as we all have, but I left the fault part out. Then again he may simply have been a man of his time. I also came across this, which was to his credit.

In June, at a meeting of the Executive Committee of the International Olympic Commission, at Vienna, Brig.-Gen. C. H. Sherrill, the United States delegate, declared that unless Germany guaranteed the equality of foreign Jewish athletes and of German Jewish athletes in participating, the Olympic games would be transferred from Berlin in 1936. General Sherrill's declaration was followed by a cablegram, signed by twenty American Olympic champions sent to him at the instance of the American Jewish Congress.

http://www.ajcarchives.org/AJC_DATA/Fil ... Review.pdf

But I also found this:

The arguments posed in opposition to the U. S. boycott of the Olympics were supported by many influential individuals and groups. The major argument used by people such as Avery Brundage (President of the American Olympic Committee) and General Charles Sherrill (one of three of America’s voting representatives on the IOC), was that there was no discrimination against the Jews in Germany and that Germany had pledged that there would be no discrimination; therefore, there was no reason to boycott the Games.

http://library.la84.org/SportsLibrary/J ... h0303d.pdf

So I guess the truth may depend on who writes the history.

Story and pictures of his home in New York (scroll down a bit).

http://daytoninmanhattan.blogspot.com/2 ... no-20.html
Pat Holscher
Society Member

mmoore wrote:Yes, I saw that and some other comments. I was going to write that he was an interesting man with some faults, as we all have, but I left the fault part out. Then again he may simply have been a man of his time. I also came across this, which was to his credit.

In June, at a meeting of the Executive Committee of the International Olympic Commission, at Vienna, Brig.-Gen. C. H. Sherrill, the United States delegate, declared that unless Germany guaranteed the equality of foreign Jewish athletes and of German Jewish athletes in participating, the Olympic games would be transferred from Berlin in 1936. General Sherrill's declaration was followed by a cablegram, signed by twenty American Olympic champions sent to him at the instance of the American Jewish Congress.

http://www.ajcarchives.org/AJC_DATA/Fil ... Review.pdf

But I also found this:

The arguments posed in opposition to the U. S. boycott of the Olympics were supported by many influential individuals and groups. The major argument used by people such as Avery Brundage (President of the American Olympic Committee) and General Charles Sherrill (one of three of America’s voting representatives on the IOC), was that there was no discrimination against the Jews in Germany and that Germany had pledged that there would be no discrimination; therefore, there was no reason to boycott the Games.

http://library.la84.org/SportsLibrary/J ... h0303d.pdf

So I guess the truth may depend on who writes the history.

Story and pictures of his home in New York (scroll down a bit).

http://daytoninmanhattan.blogspot.com/2 ... no-20.html
All those items might be true, even though they seem inconsistent.

To some degree, things like this are a bit of a cautionary tale about people going with "the right side of history". Recently I've been hearing some pundits declare this or that political or social movement to be "on the right side of history" or "on the side of history". But looking back, we can find all sorts of movements that well educated people naively believed to be inevitable, and even inevitably positive, developments in history. Lots of American liberals thought Communism was "on the right side of history" in the 1920s and 30s, and some conservatives started to think that fascist were "on the right side of history" in the 30s as well. It wasn't that these were really bad people, they were just naive and not very good predictors of the future. Indeed, most people are not.

Looking back we can all point out big historical events where it seems that what occurred was not only a good thing, but inevitable. Slavery, for example, was never going to survive. But what we tend to forget is that a lot of people guess badly about other things. Alcohol was going out forever. Stalin was a misunderstood democrat. The Soviets were like us, only a little Russian. Castro was liberating Cuba. Mussolini made the trains run on time. Justin Bieber had talent.

Chances are pretty high that a lot of today's "inevitable" political or social developments will bit the dust, and in retrospect it'll look as if everyone should have known that from day one.
Pat Holscher
Society Member

Bumped up due to related thread.
Passenheim

Sigh. The throatlatch is just way too tight and the cheekpieces do not allow the powerful nut cracker cavalry bit to sit correctly. No wonder the horse is fighting.
Todd
Society Member
Last Name: Holmes

Passenheim wrote:Sigh. The throatlatch is just way too tight and the cheekpieces do not allow the powerful nut cracker cavalry bit to sit correctly. No wonder the horse is fighting.
Perhaps, perhaps not - it's always difficult to be sure of equipment arrangements from snapshot images, especially in frozen movement of limited perspective.
Steve Haupt
Last Name: Haupt

No sighs here! A snug throatlatch will help keep a bridle on. The cheek pieces are loose suggesting the curb would be setting in the proper place should the horse close his mouth. The mouth gaping is from the General riding the snaffle. Maybe he was keeping his horse from rushing off to join the herd. That's what I'd do.Yes a caveson would be appropriate here.
Cheers,
Steve Haupt