Off Topic. Clearly it was the M1911 Campaign hats

A place for discussion of mounted services uniforms, headgear, footwear and related personal equipment of the horse soldier.
Pat Holscher
Website Admin
Medals: 2
Last Name: Holscher
:
Society Member Donation - Origin

Off Topic. Clearly it was the M1911 Campaign hats

Post by Pat Holscher » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:20 pm

Todd
Website Admin
Last Name: Holmes
:

Post by Todd » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:28 pm

no comment.[8roll]

Pat Holscher
Website Admin
:

Post by Pat Holscher » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:34 pm

It can't be the bow ties.

Pat

Ron Smith
Medals: 1
Last Name: Smith
:
Society Member

Post by Ron Smith » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:08 pm

You know Starbucks has a dress code up there..............

Ron

wkambic
Society Member
Last Name: Kambic
:
Society Member

Post by wkambic » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:20 pm

De gustibus non est disputandum.

Bill Kambic

Mangalarga Marchador: Uma raça, uma paixão

Dave J.
Last Name: Jacobs

Post by Dave J. » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:14 pm

I prefer the traditional dark blue LAPD style, or dark blue with a lighter blue shirt. Unless the department is in a desert area, then tan is good. Also, I'm not a big fan of the two tone shirts.

I'd also have to take points off for the Trooper on the right having his regular uniform pants stuffed into his tall motorcycle boots.

Ron Smith
Last Name: Smith
:
Society Member

Post by Ron Smith » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:00 pm

They lose points by having a Bicycle unit with the ever so popular two tone Mexican tuxedo style shirt. If you ride a bike as a Police officer the vehicle shall have rotating right grip whcih flows fuel into a V Twin engine. All else is pure [xx(]

Ron

Pat Holscher
Website Admin
:

Post by Pat Holscher » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:08 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ron Smith</i>
<br />They lose points by having a Bicycle unit with the ever so popular two tone Mexican tuxedo style shirt. If you ride a bike as a Police officer the vehicle shall have rotating right grip whcih flows fuel into a V Twin engine. All else is pure [xx(]

Ron
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

That shirt is rather odd.

All kidding aside, I guess bike police are pretty effective. Our city deploys a couple of bike police, and a motorcycle policeman, during the summer, if they have qualified volunteers to do it. I have used our former city police chief as an expert in cases a couple of times, and he once discussed it in detail with me. He related that the bicycle police were quite effective, as was the motorcycle policeman. However, both are seasonal here, and they do not always have a policeman who is qualified for that sort of patrol, and who wants to do it. The original bike policemen here, I'll note, were also bicycle racers, and their job certainly kept them in shape. If I recall correctly, they wore shorts and polo shirts. Shorts on an adult male always strikes me as very odd looking, rural peasant that I am, so I didn't like their uniform much.

Lander, Wyoming also has bike police, or at least did. I interviewed them once in connection with an automobile vs. bicycle accident, as they know the bike rider in the accident. While also seasonal, they likewise found the bike police to be very effective, particularly in their large city park which has a lot of bicyclists. In some instances, they found a bike policeman was more rapid to respond in comparison to any other type of policeman. Likewise, this city has found that bike policemen, in heavy traffic times, are actually capable of making traffic stops.

The type of police that's nearly wholly missing here are mounted policemen. They're very rare. Just recently Cheyenne, WY added mounted policemen, but I'm unsure as to the details. Denver CO, of course, has had them, although there's always rumors of their being phases out. Their uniform has changed enormously over the past 30 years, as the first ones I ever saw looked like the NYPD. Now they wear cowboy hats. Anyhow, now that this town has a very, very, long river walk,, varying states of urban v. semi-natural terrain, I've sometimes wondered if the summertime addition of a mounted policemen wouldn't be both effective and good pr.

Pat

HawkHero
Last Name: Colonna

Post by HawkHero » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:08 pm

I have always felt that the MA state police had some nice uniforms:

http://www.masstroopers.org/public/images/b-4day1.jpg

All state troopers wear breeches and boots and many still wear the campaign hat, as well. I'm trying to find a picture of their Class A coat, but can't, as it's very sharp looking, too.

Brian S Colonna

HawkHero

Post by HawkHero » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:10 pm

http://nteusa.org/mountedpolice/Mounted ... ining.html

Scroll down the page a bit to see the radar trap in Texas....

Brian S Colonna

HawkHero

Post by HawkHero » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:21 pm

Out where I am, Carson CIty has a full mounted unit, and Reno has been trying to start their own unit back up for a few years. The advantage to mounted police officers is the overview you have by being above everyone else's head. It's an advantage a cop sitting in a cruiser or on a bike will never have.

I had a friend who worked for a police department in a city that was having a rash of vehicle break-ins and robberies at a particular mall, so he volunteered to spend five hours a day patrolling the parking lot. After he caught the first two attackers by chasing them down (I guess they thought they could outrun a horse over an open field...), the crimes all stopped.

Brian S Colonna

Dave J.
Last Name: Jacobs

Post by Dave J. » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:33 am

I read the best dressed article in Law and Order Magazine. The Sheriff's Department from NC on the cover looks even sharper than the winners. They have silver tan shirts, pink tan pants with brown stripes. Brown campaign hats, ties, and dress coat. Though the motor officer has the same problem, having to stuff regular duty uniform trousers into his tall boots.

It seems breeches are over looked by uniform manufacturers. The only decent ones readily available are by Frontline. And they only come in LAPD Navy, CHP silver tan, and LASD green. If you wear any other color you're out of luck. You either have to "make do." Or settle for expensive custom made breeches.

Wonder where the RCMP gets theirs, and what company makes them.

JV Puleo
Society Member
:
Society Member Donor

Post by JV Puleo » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:32 pm

I'm reminded of the new uniforms for the Capitol Police that were tried out during the Nixon administration. It made them look like they were tricked out for The Music Man. Must have had the same fashion designer as that judge.

Joe Puleo

Pat Holscher
Website Admin
:

Post by Pat Holscher » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:34 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JV Puleo</i>
<br />I'm reminded of the new uniforms for the Capitol Police that were tried out during the Nixon administration. It made them look like they were tricked out for The Music Man. Must have had the same fashion designer as that judge.

Joe Puleo

Those capitol police uniforms were the height of wacky, at least if the photos of them to them justice. Whatever else a person's view on things in the Nixon Administration might be, those uniforms have to have been the Administration's low point.

Pat

Kelton Oliver
Society Member
:
Society Member

Post by Kelton Oliver » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:31 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dave J.</i>
<br />I read the best dressed article in Law and Order Magazine. The Sheriff's Department from NC on the cover looks even sharper than the winners. They have silver tan shirts, pink tan pants with brown stripes. Brown campaign hats, ties, and dress coat. Though the motor officer has the same problem, having to stuff regular duty uniform trousers into his tall boots.

It seems breeches are over looked by uniform manufacturers. The only decent ones readily available are by Frontline. And they only come in LAPD Navy, CHP silver tan, and LASD green. If you wear any other color you're out of luck. You either have to "make do." Or settle for expensive custom made breeches.

Wonder where the RCMP gets theirs, and what company makes them.
Mounted Police Worldwide has a good selection of colors and their quality is excellent, although delivery is a little slow -- usually about 2+ months. I have several pair of their breeches and they wear very well. I bought from them because the selection of colors in men's breeches from equestrian stores is terrible -- black, tan, or white. I have the MPW breeches in black, OD green, khaki, navy blue, and Air Force blue. I have no complaints about the product or the price (~$135-$150), nor is the delivery time a problem if you don't need them urgently.

Return to “Uniforms and related”