Breeches: Color & Laces

A place for discussion of mounted services uniforms, headgear, footwear and related personal equipment of the horse soldier.
Jim Bewley
Society Member
Medals: 2
Last Name: Bewley
:
Society Member Donation - 3rd

Post by Jim Bewley » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:43 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">It don't, in fact they scare some horses rather easily. But then again I can't catch a cold with a rope...............

Ron Smith<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Sorry Ron, I forgot that Pat is the one with the cattle. He was talking about breeches once so prhaps he should test you woodland version. They wouldn't see him coming. [:D]

Jim

wkambic
Society Member
Medals: 1
Last Name: Kambic
:
Society Member

Post by wkambic » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:07 pm

Yeah, but...If woodland camo would help you sneak up on a cow just think how effective a "ghillie" (sp) suit would be. [8D]

A couple of years back I learned to rope a fencepost. If it's not moving too fast. And I'm not moving too fast. And relative motion is zero. And it's not too far away.

And a "ghillie" suit would definitely not help. [;)]

Bill Kambic

Mangalarga Marchador: Uma raça, uma paixão

Ron Smith
Last Name: Smith
:
Society Member

Post by Ron Smith » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:23 pm

No worries Jim, but we also have cattle, I just don't rope well. I shoot good though[880], but that is hard the herd.

We do it the easy way, throw pellets in the trap, push them in, open the gates and load them up.

When we were developing our mounted MP squad one of our NCO's converted std BDU trousers into breeches and the conversion worked pretty good. It allowd us to stay in uniform w/o much issue with "some" brass.

Ron Smith

Pat Holscher
Website Admin
Last Name: Holscher
:
Society Member Donation - Origin

Post by Pat Holscher » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:47 pm

With the discussion on cavalry breeches, I thought I'd bump up this archived thread started by Oscar. This gives a good example of BDU type uniforms with riding boots.

topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=4018

Pat

John Fitzgerald
Society Member
:
Society Member

Post by John Fitzgerald » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:09 am

I've never worn my cav stuff when riding with my friends, for fear of ridicule. Last weekend I wore my original 3 straps and my WPG breeches. I must say that it caused quite a stir amongst my pals. They all dress totally western. However, not one of them is a real cowboy. I'm no cowboy either, but I know my way around cattle and have been on many a gather. From my experience, real cowboys don't care about doing any pleasure riding. They get enough riding while they are working.

I usually wear a ball cap, any old shirt, jeans, and high top buckaroo style boots (because of the '04 rigging). I thought that those were comfortable riding clothes, but the breeches and 3 straps are way more comfortable. I've decided I'll be using them a lot.

Getting back to my western friends, I said, "Why is it okay for you guys to pretend you are cowboys and it's not okay for me to pretend I'm a cav trooper?". Then I said, "You go ahead and live your fantasy and I'll live mine". That pretty much shut them up.

I've come out of the closet guys!!!

John Fitzgerald
Eagle County, Colorado

Ride'm like you stole'm

Pat Holscher
Website Admin
:

Post by Pat Holscher » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:22 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by John Fitzgerald</i>
<br />From my experience, real cowboys don't care about doing any pleasure riding. They get enough riding while they are working.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

That's not completely true, I've known plenty of working riders who really like to ride, but there is an element of truth to it. That's certainly the case with my wife, who is a fantastic rider, but to whom the concept of riding for pleasure is completely foreign. She likes to ride, but doesn't begin to see why a person would ride to ride. All her riding has been working riding, and she sees it as an element of work.

I suspect that might be quite true of a lot of original cavalrymen also. Probably enlisted cavalrymen in particular.

Pat

wkambic
Society Member
:
Society Member

Post by wkambic » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:13 pm

Bumped in answer to John's question about the quality of WPG cotton twill breeches.

My opinions as stated above have not changed.

I have two pair of the WPG wool breeches. They are a quality breech.

Bill Kambic

John Fitzgerald
Society Member
:
Society Member

Post by John Fitzgerald » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:23 am

Up til now, getting the o.d. laces has not been easy. I've had to use the waxed brown shoe laces. They don't look too bad. With WPG's efforts on the wool breech, I suppose the o.d. laces will be easier to get.

John Fitzgerald
Eagle County, Colorado

Ride'm like you stole'm

Pat Holscher
Website Admin
:

Post by Pat Holscher » Tue May 29, 2007 7:51 pm

Interesting examples of WWII Canadian breeches for motorcycle use:

http://mpmuseum.org/provostdr.html

Pat

HawkHero
Last Name: Colonna

Post by HawkHero » Tue May 29, 2007 8:18 pm

I noticed yesterday that What Price GLory, http://onlinemilitaria.net/shopexd.asp?id=177&bc=no now has their wool breeches. They cost $148 but look really good in the picture, just like the originals I have. I might have to buy a pair and see how they fit.

Brian S Colonna

Pat Holscher
Website Admin
:

Post by Pat Holscher » Wed May 30, 2007 7:26 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Pat Holscher</i>
<br />Interesting examples of WWII Canadian breeches for motorcycle use:

http://mpmuseum.org/provostdr.html

Pat
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Note the bedford cord example. There were some old threads here about bedford cord, and the photo included here gives a good example of its appearance.

Pat

wkambic
Society Member
:
Society Member

Post by wkambic » Wed May 30, 2007 8:30 am

Brian, I've got two pair I wore all winter. They are well made, wore well, and were quite comfortable in TN's average winter temps (low 30's in the a.m., upper 40's in p.m.). I wore them when working at home and with our local hunt. (Our masters are not terribly picky on men's breeches color as long as it's reasonable. [;)])

I also bought three of their closeout wool shirts. Happy with those, too! [8D]

For cleaning I've been using the DRYELL (sp) home-dryer dry cleaning kits. You can put up to four standard adult garments into a big, plastic bag sealed with a Velcro strip, along with one of the DRYELL cleaning clothes. For stains they have a "stain remover" fluid that works pretty well. Put it on med-high for 30 min. and the job's done. They must be taken out and hung up IMMEDIATELY or you WILL have an ironing job!

Without the DRYELL kits they would be problematical due to the costs of sending them out for cleaning. I don't know how they might hold up to cold water washing, but line drying in the winter can also be problematical. I would think hot-air drying would be a "non-starter" unless you bought the item a size or two larger than needed.

The only criticism I have is that the lower leg has a sewn in re-inforcing band that is tight for me. A legacy of my youth delivering Chicago Tribunes every morning for five years are my "line backer legs." Even a loss of 35 pounds over the past year has not loosened the lower leg much. [:(] Next winter I'm going to have my wife (a pretty good seamstress) cut the band and splice in a 1/2 extension. That should do the job. [:)]

All in all I've very happy with the WPG wool breeches. Even with almost daily wear last winter they held up very well. I'll likely buy a new pair in the fall for next hunt season wear.

Bill Kambic

Return to “Uniforms and related”