Breeches: Color & Laces

A place for discussion of mounted services uniforms, headgear, footwear and related personal equipment of the horse soldier.
Jim Bewley
Society Member
Medals: 2
Last Name: Bewley
:
Society Member Donation - 3rd

Breeches: Color & Laces

Post by Jim Bewley » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:55 pm

How were the laces at the calf suppose to be laced? Was it ladder or crossed?

What price Glory has two new breetches in the works. One is an officers, wool, "pink". They look gray, so what color are they really?

The ones pictured have the laced section going down to a wrap around section that buttons. I have four pair of cotton originals (well the seller on e-bay said they were [:)]) of this style and like them better then the ones that lace all the way down. Did they pre-date the ones that lace to the bottom?

Jim

John Fitzgerald
Society Member
Medals: 1
:
Society Member

Post by John Fitzgerald » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:47 pm

I just wore my WPG cotton breeches this past weekend. They are great. Good fit. Comfortable. Good looking. I'll buy a pair of the wool ones. I like the enlisted breeches better than the officers. The officers have too much flair, to suit me.

John Fitzgerald
Eagle County, Colorado

Ride'm like you stole'm

Ron Smith
Last Name: Smith
:
Society Member

Post by Ron Smith » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:59 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jim Bewley</i>
<br />How were the laces at the calf suppose to be laced? Was it ladder or crossed?

What price Glory has two new breetches in the works. One is an officers, wool, "pink". They look gray, so what color are they really?

The ones pictured have the laced section going down to a wrap around section that buttons. I have four pair of cotton originals (well the seller on e-bay said they were [:)]) of this style and like them better then the ones that lace all the way down. Did they pre-date the ones that lace to the bottom?

Jim
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Jim,
Pinks and Greens were denoted a ssuch due to the hue that the breeches took on when next to a OD-Chocalate officers shirt. You would know the color as "Taupe". That is why you see the gray tones.

There is no one style of breeches for officers, pick a design, it was worn. Lace them how you like them best, crossed or ladder, either way is suitable. The one you speak of with laces and buttons was a very common style.

Also keep in mind there were as many variants of the one color as there were makers. So fgure on at least 25 variants.

You would be surprised at how many officers today want to go back to the Pinks & Greens when we were hearing about the change from the pickle suit Class A's. Especially Cav officers.

Ron Smith

Jim Bewley
Society Member
:

Post by Jim Bewley » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:27 pm

John & Ron: Thanks for your imput. I like a bit less flair myself, but I also like the lace and button arrangement. I was not sure if regulations called for a certain method for lacing or not. I remember some MP units I was in insisted on ladder and others did not for our boots. As to the color I can understand the problem between manufactures. Taupe I am familular with. I may have to look into a pair of those for the winter months. Of course with a heat index today of 105+ wool does not come to mind. [:)]

Jim

John Fitzgerald
Society Member
:
Society Member

Post by John Fitzgerald » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:45 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jim Bewley</i>
<br />John & Ron: Thanks for your imput. I like a bit less flair myself, but I also like the lace and button arrangement. I was not sure if regulations called for a certain method for lacing or not. I remember some MP units I was in insisted on ladder and others did not for our boots. As to the color I can understand the problem between manufactures. Taupe I am familular with. I may have to look into a pair of those for the winter months. Of course with a heat index today of 105+ wool does not come to mind. [:)]

Jim

Get a pair of the cotton twill from WPG. You'll like them for hot weather.

John Fitzgerald
Eagle County, Colorado

Ride'm like you stole'm

Jim Bewley
Society Member
:

Post by Jim Bewley » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:00 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Get a pair of the cotton twill from WPG. You'll like them for hot weather.

John Fitzgerald
Eagle County, Colorado<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I will follow your recommendation, John. How are they with srinkage? Do I need to go large or are they sized with that in mind?

Jim

dallas
Society Member
:
Society Member Donation - 4th

Post by dallas » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:37 pm

The breeches with the laces and buttons were for officers. The enlisted men's breeches were all laces, at least for the issue ones. The original wool breeches for officers were made of an extra heavy cavalry twill imported from England. I don't believe that material is still being made. Dick Jones, who worked for Albert More in Junction City during the horse cavalry heyday and then took over the business, told me probably 30 years ago that he couldn't get the desireable extra heavy cavalry twill anymore. Probably nobody cares today.
Dallas

Jim Bewley
Society Member
:

Post by Jim Bewley » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:16 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The breeches with the laces and buttons were for officers. The enlisted men's breeches were all laces, at least for the issue ones. The original wool breeches for officers were made of an extra heavy cavalry twill imported from England. I don't believe that material is still being made. Dick Jones, who worked for Albert More in Junction City during the horse cavalry heyday and then took over the business, told me probably 30 years ago that he couldn't get the desireable extra heavy cavalry twill anymore. Probably nobody cares today.
Dallas<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

The breeches I have with the buttons and laces were reportably from the estate of a former SGM at Ft Riley, but we all know how much stock can be put in that. They have clearly been let out at some point so perhaps a gain in weight with the increase in rank? [:D]

I guess with the trend toward the streach breeches the desire for the heavy twill is gone. I knew a huntsman once that ordered three pair of heavy twill breeches from England every season.

Jim

wkambic
Society Member
Last Name: Kambic
:
Society Member

Post by wkambic » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:32 pm

I've got three pair of the WWII Impressions offering and one from WPG. Each is completely satisfactory (I wrote some time back comparing the two offerings when I had new pair from each). The oldest WWII Imp. breeches are showing signs of age (fading, some eyelets coming loose, etc.) but they get worn (and laundered) at least twice a week and have been getting this workout for more than two years. So wear is reasonable IMO. [;)]

I would like to add a couple of pair of wool breeches for the few days in winter when you need to wear wool in TN. I looked at the two websites today and each has an offering. I've also looked the Great War Militaria site and have considred their offering (but it would be nice to have some idea if the premium for the GWM breeches is worth it).

I think Ron has mentioned the Peter Jay breeches for police officers. Kelton's son was wearing a pair at Ft. Robinson (IIRC). They were an almost perfect match to his green blouse in texture and color. He said the quality was superb but suggested the price was equally impressive! [);]

I've found this style of riding breeches to be vastly more comfortable than anything I've ever worn while astride (Levis, Wranglers, Diamond, etc.). I guess I'll stick with them!!!!

And as a quick aside, we got the hunting catalog from L.L.Bean today. On page 75 they offer a "Washable Wool Jac-Shirt." It's a 9 oz. sq./yd. 85% wool/15% nylon blend. Looks like a nice real candidate for the cooler weather riding season here!

Bill Kambic

Mangalarga Marchador: Uma raça, uma paixão

Ron Smith
:
Society Member

Post by Ron Smith » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:42 pm

Cavalry Twill is available in the UK, the Household Cavalry Mounted Regiment and the Kings Troop Royal Horse Artillery use them now. In the US it is hard to get twill but Peter Jay has had some material that was very close to the real thing.

Wool breeches are not as bad in the warmer months as you might think. When I was a mounted officer and motor officer we wore wool breeches year round, and that is in Harris and Montgomery Counties, Texas (Houston area). It was the black boots that was the killer, all that good shine did was allow your feet to get baked faster.

I would wear breeches more here but frankly I would get laughed out of town when the other ranchers around here found out. but considering it was 110 degrees F here today (112-114 in the barn) those breeches are looking pretty good.13MWZ Wranglers just gain 3 pounds when you sweat in them in this heat.

Peter Jay breeches are about $200.00 p/pr, which is a good price for a custom breech. The European (mostly German) made breeches for men w/leather seats are well over $300.00 p/pr. But they hold up well and the leather is supple and washable.

Ron Smith

Kelton Oliver
Society Member
:
Society Member

Post by Kelton Oliver » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:28 pm

My son's uniform breeches are from Mounted Police Worldwide: http://www.police-equipment-worldwide.c ... nylon.html

They are the "sheriff's green" color and are nearly a perfect match to his Army green uniform coat. The caveat is that all Army uniform coats are not exactly the same color.

Ron Smith
:
Society Member

Post by Ron Smith » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:42 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kelton Oliver</i>
<br />My son's uniform breeches are from Mounted Police Worldwide: http://www.police-equipment-worldwide.c ... nylon.html

They are the "sheriff's green" color and are nearly a perfect match to his Army green uniform coat. The caveat is that all Army uniform coats are not exactly the same color.

At one time Peter Jay was making the breeches for Mounted Police Worldwide, and I think they still are.

Ron Smith

John Fitzgerald
Society Member
:
Society Member

Post by John Fitzgerald » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:22 am

<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Get a pair of the cotton twill from WPG. You'll like them for hot weather.

John Fitzgerald
Eagle County, Colorado<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I will follow your recommendation, John. How are they with srinkage? Do I need to go large or are they sized with that in mind?

Jim

I wear a 32" waist. I bought 32's. They were a little big. I washed them in hot water and dried them on hot, hot. They didn't shrink much. They are made of nice twill fabric. they look really good after a couple of washings.

John Fitzgerald
Eagle County, Colorado

Ride'm like you stole'm

tmarsh
Society Member
Last Name: Marsh
:
Society Member

Post by tmarsh » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:49 am

Millers in New York several years ago offered to custom make breeches in the taupe for members of the Cav. Association. The material is a twill and they did a nice job with them. They were about $120.00. I also purchased a pair of the cotton breeches and have not used them yet. They also were a little big and need to wash them a couple of times. Tom

Jim Bewley
Society Member
:

Post by Jim Bewley » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:17 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I wear a 32" waist. I bought 32's. They were a little big. I washed them in hot water and dried them on hot, hot. They didn't shrink much. They are made of nice twill fabric. they look really good after a couple of washings.

John Fitzgerald

Thanks, John. I'll go with my regular size. You can never be sure with cotton when it comes to shrinkage.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I would wear breeches more here but frankly I would get laughed out of town when the other ranchers around here found out. but considering it was 110 degrees F here today (112-114 in the barn) those breeches are looking pretty good.13MWZ Wranglers just gain 3 pounds when you sweat in them in this heat.

Peter Jay breeches are about $200.00 p/pr, which is a good price for a custom breech. The European (mostly German) made breeches for men w/leather seats are well over $300.00 p/pr. But they hold up well and the leather is supple and washable.

Ron Smith<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Come on, Ron. You can be a trend setter. Gene and Roy wore them inside ther boots. [8D]

Jim

HawkHero
Last Name: Colonna

Post by HawkHero » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:09 pm

Wool is indeed a good rear-round material to wear. I wear my wool 1935 breeches year round and it's very comfortable. The thing with wool is that is really does breathe, but more importantly, it whicks moisture away from your skin. Cotton doesn't breathe very well and it holds the sweat in much longer than wool. I learned from doing all my RevWar reenacting that the wool is a very good material. The only thing I've found that wears better is hemp.

Brian S Colonna

Ron Smith
:
Society Member

Post by Ron Smith » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:51 pm

Gene and Roy also has sparkly shirts and Bolin saddles. I have set a few trends in my life, but at my age staying fit and keeping my BP at proper levels is about all the trend I can handle.

But you should see me in my Woodland BDU breeches[880]

Ron Smith

Jim Bewley
Society Member
:

Post by Jim Bewley » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:50 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">But you should see me in my Woodland BDU breeches

Ron Smith<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Do they allow you to sneak up on the cattle for an easy rope toss? [;)]

Jim

Gunny Gibby
Last Name: Gibbons

Post by Gunny Gibby » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:29 am

If woodland breeches makes it easier to get a rope around that young bull of mine, I'll try it to. Halter breaking him is really giving me a run for money.

Phil Gibbons

Ron Smith
:
Society Member

Post by Ron Smith » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:10 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gunny Gibby</i>
<br />If woodland breeches makes it easier to get a rope around that young bull of mine, I'll try it to. Halter breaking him is really giving me a run for money.

Phil Gibbons

It don't, in fact they scare some horses rather easily. But then again I can't catch a cold with a rope...............

Ron Smith

Return to “Uniforms and related”