What color are those brown boots?

A place for discussion of mounted services uniforms, headgear, footwear and related personal equipment of the horse soldier.
Kelton Oliver
Society Member
Medals: 1
:
Society Member

Re: A-2 Flight Jackets

Post by Kelton Oliver » Wed May 19, 2010 9:23 pm

Pat Holscher wrote:Here's an offtopic query related to A2s.

I have a horsehide A2 made by Averex. I've had it for 20 years, and it's still mostly in great shape. The zipper broke a couple of weeks ago, however, and it's not much use with a bad zipper.

I don't think Averex makes these anymore and I don't know what sort of professional you'd take an A2 to in order for it to be repaired. Any ideas? The jacket is otherwise in great shape and I'd hate to have it put out of use.
Try Gibson and Barnes. http://www.gibson-barnes.com/ They do restorations on old flight jackets.

Pat Holscher
Website Admin
Medals: 2
Last Name: Holscher
:
Society Member Donation - Origin

Post by Pat Holscher » Thu May 20, 2010 6:20 am

Thanks Kelton.
Pat

Animadvertistine, ubicumque stes, fumum recta in faciem ferri?

Pat Holscher
Website Admin
:

Post by Pat Holscher » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:29 pm

Bump.
Pat

Pat Holscher
Website Admin
:

Post by Pat Holscher » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:38 am

Bump.
Pat

Kelton Oliver
Society Member
Medals: 1
:
Society Member

Post by Kelton Oliver » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:20 pm

Pat, did you ever get your aviator jacket repaired?

Pat Holscher
Website Admin
:

Post by Pat Holscher » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:24 pm

Kelton Oliver wrote:Pat, did you ever get your aviator jacket repaired?
No, I still haven't. I still need to. I've been fiddling with the zipper when I wear it in the Fall and Spring but that' can't go on forever.
Pat

Pat Holscher
Website Admin
:

Post by Pat Holscher » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:00 pm

Pat Holscher wrote:
dallas wrote:Pat: The 1943 roughout two buckle combat boot was the standard boot during much of the Korean War. Later in the war, a russet lace up boot with a cap toe was issued. This boot looked somewhat like the jump boot but was actually much different. This is the boot that was dyed black in the late 1950s.

Incidentally, after WWII, some commands required the polishing of the roughout boots for wear bloused with Class A or B uniforms. That was a chore to remove the rough flesh side and apply enough polish to form a base so that some semblance of a spit shine could be obtained. I know it could be done because I had to do it.

That picture you mentioned that showed black boots in 1948 had to be russet boots dyed cordovan because black didn't come in until the late 1950's. I had a pair of Corcoran jump boots dyed cordovan and spit shined with a fancy lace job for wear on parades and guard duty.
Dallas Freeborn
I just recently learned the russet boot, that resembled the paratrooper boot, that Dallas mentions here was the M44 boot. Apparently it was adopted in 1944, but I don't think it was actually used outside of the US in WWII. It shows up in a late war uniform and equipment list I recently saw for the 10th Mountain Division, but that notes that they were restricted to stateside use only.

It's odd to think of the Army adopting a replacement for the M43 boot so rapidly after it was adopted. Odder yet, perhaps, the M43 boot was apparently produced in such huge quantities that they were still in use at least at the start of the Korean War. The M44 didn't see much use until the 50s.

It's also interesting that the M44 boot at least superficially resembled the jump boot, making it one more Army item that at least has the appearance of having been influenced by the paratrooper uniform adopted during WWII.
Bumped up by request.
Pat

Tony Barton
Last Name: Barton

Post by Tony Barton » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:06 am

Back to the British boots :~
Prior to and during WW1 ,men were issued with two pairs of boots , supplied as fleshout brown leather , very greasy . One were generally kept for parade, and blackened and polished .
The other were worn in the field, and kept brown and simply greased with " dubbin ". They achieved a completely neutral colour somwhat resembling the uniforms.
This was certainly the case for the Infantry, and as far as I can tell for the cavalry troopers as well . From about 1885 in the field it had become normal for cavalry troopers to wear ankle boots and puttees.
The tall black boots worn with full dress survived until the Great War for parades.

Prior to the introduction of the khaki serge uniform from 1902 all ankle boots were generally black.

Officers got their boots privately from their outfitters , so there is a certain amount of variation as to what was worn according to Regimental practice.
Once the khaki Service Dress was introduced, they wore brown boots as well , but cavalry officers normally wore tall semi lace-up field boots, of slightly varying pattern , depending on their preference .

Return to “Uniforms and related”