Wear of Leggins and Boots. After the Great War

A place for discussion of mounted services uniforms, headgear, footwear and related personal equipment of the horse soldier.
Post Reply
elcutachero
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2002 2:15 pm
Location: USA

Wear of Leggins and Boots. After the Great War

Post by elcutachero » Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:55 pm

Though the field boots referred to herein are not not defined, they most likely are not the triple soled full lace boots known more generally as trench boots. These had hobnails, and set in horseshoe shaped heel plates. Many had a small flap with two buckle straps at the knee or a single strap at the top.
I believe the field boot referred to are the familiar pattern also known as the English boot with the lace at the calf and the bal type lace at the top of the vamp. This boot was much more adapted to marching as it would not rub the heel.
Here is the text of the Special Regulation.

S. R. 41, C. 8.]
SPECIAL REGULATIONS NO. 41


WAR DEPARTMENT,
WASHINGTON, March 20,1919.
Paragraph 97, Special Regulations No. 41, Uniform Regulations, 1917, is
changed as follows:
97. (Changed by S. R. No. 41. C. No. 1.) LEGGINS.Mounted ~officers will
wear russet leather or pigskin leggins or russet leather boots with the service
uniform, except that when actually on duty in the field they may wear field
boots, mounted or dismounted, or spiral leggins, dismounted.
Dismounted officers will wear russet leather or pigskin leggins with the service
uniform, except that when mounted they may wear russet leather boots, and
when actually on duty in the field they may wear spiral leggins or field boots.
Enlisted men will wear the prescribed leggins (par. 104, S.R. 41) with the
service uniform. (S. R. No. 41, C. No. 8, Mar. 20, 1919.)
{ 421.5, A. G. 0. }
By ORDER OF THE SECRETARY 0F WAR:
Frank McIntire
Major General, Acting Chief of Staff
Official:
P. C. HARRIS,
The Adjutant GeneraL
114600*-19

WASHINGTON: GOVERNMENT PRINTING OFFICE,: 1919


El Cutachero

F-Trooper

Post by F-Trooper » Tue Feb 25, 2003 7:49 pm

After looking at several photos from the 1st CAvalry division and other contemporary pictures I don't think there was a set pattern of "field" boots. Too many pics of officers wearing different boots in France and after...some look like the M1933 some like the M1940 coots, some a weird combination. Note they aer only allowed for field service. The boots to be worn with thte service unifrom when mounted would be the no lace style used from 1890ish-1942.

The Bold Dragoon

User avatar
Pat Holscher
Website Admin
Posts: 26729
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2000 6:51 pm
Medals: 2
Last Name: Holscher
Location: USA
:
Society Member Donation - Origin
Contact:

Post by Pat Holscher » Tue Feb 25, 2003 9:57 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by F-Trooper</i>
<br />After looking at several photos from the 1st CAvalry division and other contemporary pictures I don't think there was a set pattern of "field" boots. Too many pics of officers wearing different boots in France and after...some look like the M1933 some like the M1940 coots, some a weird combination. Note they aer only allowed for field service. The boots to be worn with thte service unifrom when mounted would be the no lace style used from 1890ish-1942.

The Bold Dragoon
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Just thought I'd note there are a lot of older interesting threads on boots, a lot of which are archived. It is certainly the case that officers exhibited wide leeway in the purchase of boots.

Pat

User avatar
Pat Holscher
Website Admin
Posts: 26729
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2000 6:51 pm
Medals: 2
Last Name: Holscher
Location: USA
:
Society Member Donation - Origin
Contact:

Post by Pat Holscher » Wed Feb 26, 2003 9:31 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by elcutachero</i>
<br />Though the field boots referred to herein are not not defined, they most likely are not the triple soled full lace boots known more generally as trench boots. These had hobnails, and set in horseshoe shaped heel plates. Many had a small flap with two buckle straps at the knee or a single strap at the top.
I believe the field boot referred to are the familiar pattern also known as the English boot with the lace at the calf and the bal type lace at the top of the vamp. This boot was much more adapted to marching as it would not rub the heel.
Here is the text of the Special Regulation.

S. R. 41, C. 8.]
SPECIAL REGULATIONS NO. 41


WAR DEPARTMENT,
WASHINGTON, March 20,1919.
Paragraph 97, Special Regulations No. 41, Uniform Regulations, 1917, is
changed as follows:
97. (Changed by S. R. No. 41. C. No. 1.) LEGGINS.Mounted ~officers will
wear russet leather or pigskin leggins or russet leather boots with the service
uniform, except that when actually on duty in the field they may wear field
boots, mounted or dismounted, or spiral leggins, dismounted.
Dismounted officers will wear russet leather or pigskin leggins with the service
uniform, except that when mounted they may wear russet leather boots, and
when actually on duty in the field they may wear spiral leggins or field boots.
Enlisted men will wear the prescribed leggins (par. 104, S.R. 41) with the
service uniform. (S. R. No. 41, C. No. 8, Mar. 20, 1919.)
{ 421.5, A. G. 0. }
By ORDER OF THE SECRETARY 0F WAR:
Frank McIntire
Major General, Acting Chief of Staff
Official:
P. C. HARRIS,
The Adjutant GeneraL
114600*-19

WASHINGTON: GOVERNMENT PRINTING OFFICE,: 1919


El Cutachero
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

This is an interesting regulation. The field boots referred to are undoubtedly the type of riding boot called by that name.

I'm not familiar with the pigskin leggins. Is anyone else? I take it this regulation was referring to that being worn by dismounted officers with the service shoe? It seems the regulation acknowledges the widespread practice of officers wearing field boots while in the field, as well as the common spiral leggins. Note that these are referred to as a dismounted item.

Pat

elcutachero
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2002 2:15 pm
Location: USA

Post by elcutachero » Wed Feb 26, 2003 11:12 pm

There are some good illustrations on this thread.
WWI and WWII Militaria Forum
The pigskin or russet leather leggins referred to are the patterns worn from 1904 on with whatever pattern service shoe was in vogue.
EC.

El Cutachero

User avatar
Pat Holscher
Website Admin
Posts: 26729
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2000 6:51 pm
Medals: 2
Last Name: Holscher
Location: USA
:
Society Member Donation - Origin
Contact:

Post by Pat Holscher » Thu Feb 27, 2003 7:58 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by elcutachero</i>
<br />There are some good illustrations on this thread.
WWI and WWII Militaria Forum
The pigskin or russet leather leggins referred to are the patterns worn from 1904 on with whatever pattern service shoe was in vogue.
EC.

El Cutachero
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That thread has a couple of very nice photos of the high lace up boot. I note that the text indicate that the boot was approved in 28. It seems to me that they started issuing them in 31. This would be no surprise, of course.

Pat

User avatar
Pat Holscher
Website Admin
Posts: 26729
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2000 6:51 pm
Medals: 2
Last Name: Holscher
Location: USA
:
Society Member Donation - Origin
Contact:

Post by Pat Holscher » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:28 pm

Bump.
Pat

Animadvertistine, ubicumque stes, fumum recta in faciem ferri?

User avatar
Pat Holscher
Website Admin
Posts: 26729
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2000 6:51 pm
Medals: 2
Last Name: Holscher
Location: USA
:
Society Member Donation - Origin
Contact:

Post by Pat Holscher » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:05 pm

Bump.
Pat

Animadvertistine, ubicumque stes, fumum recta in faciem ferri?

User avatar
TL Foster
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:33 pm
Medals: 1
Last Name: Foster
Location: Whidbey Island Washington
:
Donor

Post by TL Foster » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:23 pm

While I was hiding from the heat during the cavalry competition at Ft Reno last September, I took a walkabout through the Ft Reno Museum. In the basement hanging on a wall was the attached photo dated July 1931. The caption at the bottom says it's of the Ft Reno Quartermaster Depot (Remount). You can see tall boots, legging, and puntees all in the front row. Included in the displays on the second floor were a pair of mounted leggings which had the contact area on the inside rubberized. If you're in the Oklahoma City area, Ft Reno is maybe a 25 minute drive. Two of the officer's quarters have been converted into the Ft Reno Museum, and the Cavalry Association Museum. Lots of displays. The access to photos is enough to keep one busy for days. :thumbup:
Attachments
group pic 1.jpg
group pic 1.jpg (201.46 KiB) Viewed 602 times
SUGEBAT SED PERFICEDAMUS (IN THE VULGAR) 5-B-89
...Specialization is for insects. RAH

Post Reply

Return to “Uniforms and related”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest