NWMP Headgear

A place for discussion of mounted services uniforms, headgear, footwear and related personal equipment of the horse soldier.
John Lindly
Medals: 1
:
Donation - 2nd

Post by John Lindly » Fri Feb 14, 2003 10:28 pm

Rob C,

Maybe George Kush would be good enough to look at these uniforms and give his opinion?

John

G.KUSH.UE
Society Member
Medals: 1
:
Society Member

Post by G.KUSH.UE » Fri Feb 14, 2003 10:50 pm

Absolutely frightful! I encourage anyone out there to take a look at their site to see how not to reproduce a NWMP staff-sergeant's dress tunic. There uniform expert must have been on something besides warm beer.

However, their uniform cloth comes from one of the best suppliers in the UK, A. Hainsworth, Sunfield Mills, in West Yorkshire. A person would be better off to order the cloth and have one made somewhere local.

BTW I've ordered cloth from A. Hainsworth and they are wonderful to deal with. First class.

George

Rebel Doctor
Last Name: Buell

Post by Rebel Doctor » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:33 am

I know that this doesn't relate to headgear...but also noticed several posts mentioned firearms. I just purchased an 1895 Winchester saddle ring carbine. Though, Arms and Accourtrements says that the NWMP never approved of or purchaed these firearms, this one is clearly marked with the NWMP logo in the curve on the right side of the stock. On the left side of the stock there is and "A" in a circle. Did they purchase some? Was this one of the carbines sent to the NWMP for testing prior to possible purchase? Does the "A" tie in with Alberta in some way? Thanks Les aka Rebel Doctor

Pat Holscher
Website Admin
Medals: 2
Last Name: Holscher
:
Society Member Donation - Origin

Post by Pat Holscher » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:36 am

Rebel Doctor wrote:I know that this doesn't relate to headgear...but also noticed several posts mentioned firearms. I just purchased an 1895 Winchester saddle ring carbine. Though, Arms and Accourtrements says that the NWMP never approved of or purchaed these firearms, this one is clearly marked with the NWMP logo in the curve on the right side of the stock. On the left side of the stock there is and "A" in a circle. Did they purchase some? Was this one of the carbines sent to the NWMP for testing prior to possible purchase? Does the "A" tie in with Alberta in some way? Thanks Les aka Rebel Doctor
I just bumped up a couple of related threads you may find of interest.

As for the 95, that is a surprise. I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm under the impression that the NWMP, and alter the RCMP, used the 76. If they used the 95 (and I'm not saying they didn't) that's a surprise to me.

Hopefully one of the more knowledgeable posters on the NWMP can clarify the issue. Unfortunately, two very knowledgeable folks on the NWMP here, Rev. Kevin Fox and George Kush, aren't posting any longer as Father Fox passed on and George is MIA.
Pat

Animadvertistine, ubicumque stes, fumum recta in faciem ferri?

Return to “Uniforms and related”