20th Century US Army Cavalry Boots

A place for discussion of mounted services uniforms, headgear, footwear and related personal equipment of the horse soldier.
Joseph Sullivan
Website Admin
Medals: 2
:
Society Member Donation - 7th

Post by Joseph Sullivan » Sat Jul 20, 2002 2:08 pm

This has been answered before somewhere, but hsving a mind like a steel sieve, I cannot recall just where:

Where can an oversized person like, say, <i>moi</i>, get a pair of three buckle boots that will fit size 13 or so feet. The <i>"or so" </i>is because sizes are not as standard as one might think. I would perfer lasting quality, and price is an object, so value counts although it has always been my policy to buy the best quality I can (but NOT necessarily the fanciest), and keep it in service a long time. FOr example, on occasions every couple of years or so when my girth permits it, I still wear a tweed I had made in 1978. The lapels have been modified, but otherwise, it is still as respectable as when made (at least in low light it is). I also have a pair of true cordovan leather shoes bought in 1989 that still serve me a couple of times a week though they are nearing the end.

So -- I am all ears.

Joe

Edited by - Joseph Sullivan on 07/21/2002 13:46:50

Paul Scholtz

Post by Paul Scholtz » Sat Jul 20, 2002 5:26 pm

Joe,

I, too have substantial feet of the same caliber as yours. I was able to get the boots in question quite quickly , and they fit wonderfully. They came at the Suggetion of Gordon and Ron. The outfit's name is WHAT PRICE GLORY, 206 Massolo Court, Salinas, Californis 93907, ph. 888 431 2351. They have a website as well on the 11th Memorial Cavalry web page as one of their vendors. The owner is a very help[ful guy named Jerry who is sympathetic to guys with big feet.

at your (mounted) service,

Paul H. Scholtz

Pat Holscher
Website Admin
Last Name: Holscher
:
Society Member Donation - Origin

Post by Pat Holscher » Sat Jul 20, 2002 8:57 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Pat,
Cutting down the three buckle boots was a common thing to once mounted troops that found themselves no longer on horseback. My acquaintances with the veterans of the 112th told me that very thing, thta once they found they were to be fighting it out in the jungles of New Guinea -on foot!- they quickly cut down their tall mounted boots.
Rick T.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

Rick, thanks. I can see why they would do that, or why they'd add a rubber half sole.

I've some photos of Patton with the cut down officer's three strap boot, so apparently it was spread throughout the ranks. Remarkable how similar the cut down cavalry boot was to the M1943.

Pat

Pat Holscher
Website Admin
:

Post by Pat Holscher » Sat Jul 20, 2002 8:59 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Joe,

I, too have substantial feet of the same caliber as yours. I was able to get the boots in question quite quickly , and they fit wonderfully. They came at the Suggetion of Gordon and Ron. The outfit's name is WHAT PRICE GLORY, 206 Massolo Court, Salinas, Californis 93907, ph. 888 431 2351. They have a website as well on the 11th Memorial Cavalry web page as one of their vendors. The owner is a very help[ful guy named Jerry who is sympathetic to guys with big feet.

at your (mounted) service,

Paul H. Scholtz
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

That's good to know, I'd be curious as to a general impression of these boots. CRS makes a pair, but I have not seen them, and I have no knowledge as to their quality. Their 1933 boots seem okay, but whether they are authentic or not I'm not completely sure of.

Pat

Pat Holscher
Website Admin
:

Post by Pat Holscher » Sat Jul 20, 2002 9:02 pm

By the way, I beleive the original 33 boots were of elk leather. What were the three strap boots constructed of?

Pat

Ron Smith
Medals: 1
Last Name: Smith
:
Society Member

Post by Ron Smith » Sat Jul 20, 2002 9:27 pm

Pat,
3 buckles were of Elk as well.

Regards,
Ron Smith

Pat Holscher
Website Admin
:

Post by Pat Holscher » Sun Jul 21, 2002 7:14 am

Pat,
3 buckles were of Elk as well.

Regards,
Ron Smith

I wonder if any of the reproduction boots are. Probably not, but I don't know one way or the others.

Pat

Pat Holscher
Website Admin
:

Post by Pat Holscher » Sun Jul 21, 2002 7:18 am

In the category of barely related, I read in this morning's paper that the Air Force Chief of Staff appeared as a Parade Marshall at Frontier Days. He showed off his black cowboy boots, which are embossed with the symbol of the Joint Chiefs, according to the paper. Also according to the paper, he stated he could wear them as part of his uniform.

That reminded me that my father had mentioned to me that when he was in the USAF in the early 50s that black Wellingtons could be worn with the Class A uniform. I don't know when, if ever, that ceased to be part of the USAF dress uniform, at the officer's option, but it's an interesting carryover.

Pat

Philip S
Society Member
Last Name: Sauerlender
:
Society Member Donation - 8th

Post by Philip S » Sun Jul 21, 2002 9:13 am

Just a reminder that in a previous string Ron and I discussed the problem of using a M1940 three strap boot with an English jumping saddle. Bascially, it is too short and the top tends to snag on the bottom of the saddle flap. I had to have a 2 inch sleeve sewn along the top of my repros. I have also found that even when tightened as much as possible the soft leather tends to wrinkle along the top. These shortcomings explain why the officer's model three strap boot was higher and stiffer.

Light Dragoon
Society Member
:
Society Member

Post by Light Dragoon » Sun Jul 21, 2002 1:45 pm

Pat and Joe, I bought a pair of the 3-buckle boots from Jerry Lee a few months ago, and I wear them as my standard riding boot now. They are not only very comfortable to ride in, but they are geat for the walking that you have to do with the normal maintenance of horses as well. I really don't care that much for high heels, since then I REALLY run into things with my head, being on the tall side. But I have always found the marching boot sole and heels much more comfortable to my taste.

At any rate, the What Price GLory boots are of quite good quality, and so far they are wearing quite well. As to date, I usually ride with them under my trousers (a la the HBT overalls), I haven't found them to be a problem with snagging under the skirt of the saddle, but once I get a decent pair of breeches to ride in, that may change.

Gordon

"After God, we owe our Victory to our Horses"

Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada, 1543

n/a347

Post by n/a347 » Mon Jul 22, 2002 7:23 pm

Pat, could you give me a source on the 33 CRS boots,
is there a web site?
Robert

Pat Holscher
Website Admin
:

Post by Pat Holscher » Mon Jul 22, 2002 8:48 pm

Pat, could you give me a source on the 33 CRS boots,
is there a web site?
Robert

The manufacturer is Cavalry Regimental Supply. I bought mine used, so I'm unaware of where they are out of, but I'm sure that others here do know. Last I knew, they did not have a website. At one time there was a frequent ebay vendor that seemed to have a major supply of them, but I think I'd buy direct from the vendor rather than bid on ebay for the boots. I do know that they sell direct, and I believe that all of their boots are actually custom built.

Pat

Paul Scholtz

Post by Paul Scholtz » Tue Jul 23, 2002 10:02 pm

Pat,

I also would like to know how to contact CRS about these boots. The phone information people in Lubbock know nothing, so perhaps they are no longer in Lubbock. If it's not a breach of Forum protocal, could their address be printed here? If not could you email to Jack and Me?

Thanks.

At your (mounted) service,

Paul H. Scholtz

Pat Holscher
Website Admin
:

Post by Pat Holscher » Tue Jul 23, 2002 10:08 pm

Pat,

I also would like to know how to contact CRS about these boots. The phone information people in Lubbock know nothing, so perhaps they are no longer in Lubbock. If it's not a breach of Forum protocal, could their address be printed here? If not could you email to Jack and Me?

Thanks.

Paul H. Scholtz

Paul, I'd be happy to do so, I just don't have it. Perhaps Philip might have it and be able to post it in several days.

Perhaps somebody ought to see if What Price Glory can make the 33 boots. Everyone seems to speak highly of them.

Pat

Sam Cox
Society Member
:
Society Member

Post by Sam Cox » Wed Jul 24, 2002 3:13 am

Hello Gents
Dont want to be a stick in the mud but there is no 33 model boot,its actually a 31 Model.The boot was aproved and standardised by late 31.It first was trialed with all eyelets in 30,then one side of the boot laced up and hooks a were used on the other side (like leggings) and then the standardised version features laces at the bottom and hooks up the leg save for the last hole which is eyelets.The intermediate can be seen in the 43 recon movie on the cranky corporal.
Can anyone with the What Price Glory boots compare them to originals?Do they have a leather sole?
Regards to all
Sam

Sam Cox

Edited by - Sam Cox on 07/24/2002 04:16:53

Paul Scholtz

Post by Paul Scholtz » Wed Jul 24, 2002 6:59 am

Sam,

As near as I can tell with my limeted knowledge, the M1940 Mounted Service Boot from What Price Glory is an extermely faithful reproduction, right doen to the leather sole. It also has a period accurate date of issue and FSN inside, with correct laces and buckles. Evereyone wearing a pair has spoken highly of them.
Ron smith is far and away the expert on uniforms and has a pair himself, I would really trust his evaluation of these boots.

By the way, how are you fixed for Campaign hats?

Paul H. Scholtz

Pat Holscher
Website Admin
:

Post by Pat Holscher » Wed Jul 24, 2002 7:10 am

By the way, how are you fixed for Campaign hats?

The ultimate campaign hat thread:

topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=120

Pat

Ron Smith
Last Name: Smith
:
Society Member

Post by Ron Smith » Wed Jul 24, 2002 7:41 am

Paul,
Actually my 3 buckle pattern boots are originals made in 38. One of my riding partners has a pair of the WPG 3 Buckle boots and they are the best copy of this pattern going for under $500.00. It is very hard to discern the originals from the repro's from the outside. The lace lock on the inside of the shaft is even on the WPG model. They are a good boot and I would recomend them.

Dehner makes a 3 Buckle pattern, but it starts at about $750.00 and goes up from there. CRS makes one of the better 31 boot patterns around. In fact I don't recall anyone who is making that pattern besides them now. There are some minor differences but those are mostly interior and do not detract from the boot.

Keep in mind that E-men boots were not as tall as civilian or Officer riding boots, so if you are looking for something with "Spanish/French" height to it, go for the officer style which is custom made. Depending on the saddle you ride interferance with the flap lower edge may develop.

Regards,
Ron Smith

H2

Post by H2 » Fri Jul 26, 2002 12:41 pm

The address is:
Cavalry Regimental Supply
Box 64394
Lubbock, TX 79464

mail order catalog is $2.00 plus self addressed stamped envelope. No phone<i></i><i></i><u></u>

monahan
Society Member
Last Name: Monahan
:
Society Member

Post by monahan » Sat Jul 27, 2002 3:38 pm

Joe,

Look at Dehner Boot Company. Here's the link:

http://www.dehner.com

They have excellent quality boots made to order. Regards.

Timothy P. Monahan
Major, Medical Corps USA

Return to “Uniforms and related”