Indian/Spanish American War US Pack Saddle

For any and all posts on physical items that don't fit other specific forums in the Artifacts & Objects category.
Heeresbergfuhrer
Last Name: Kiser

Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:06 pm

Greetings Mule Skinners,

Here's an interesting packsaddle for someone...though it might need a bottle of <b><i>MULI VOR</i></b> to revive it!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %26fvi%3D1

Muli vor!

Heeresbergführer Kiser
mnhorse
Medals: 1
Last Name: Resseman
:
Donor - 1st

Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:17 pm

I think this "thing" has been listed before.

It looks more like parts of an Army wagon harness and thet "saddle" from a cart harness.
Richard
Ken McPheeters
Society Member
Medals: 1
:
Society Member

Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:07 am

Believe it or not, these saddles were part of the army's inventory. I ran across a primary reference from the Civil War period that mentioned them after our book was published and then later spoke with a man who had found a few of them at Bannerman's in the 1960's. The saddle, mounted on a single horse or mule, was used to pull a single axle dump cart. As I recall the carts were about 6 feet cubed in general terms, but in the 1930's the army listed several different sizes and configurations of these carts - ration, dump, and so on. The saddle's wooden arc served as the point of attachment for a pair of trees - one on either side of the animal - joined at the ends with a yoke that matched the curve of the arc on the saddle. The carts were used in garrison for trash removal, delivering fire wood, etc. Once pulled into position to unload, the yoke was detached from the saddle arc and the cart, now free to respond to gravity, would tip back under its own weight and dump its load. Strictly a utilitarian piece of equipment without any of the attendant romance of use on campaign, from what I've been able to gather these dump carts wrote one of their most notorious chapters during the American Civil War when they were used to gather the bodies from the battlefields for transport to the burial sites.

Apparently the carts in various forms continued in use as long as the army had horses to pull them, as the carts and this type of saddle in several different sizes and configurations are shown in the 1930 "HANDBOOK FOR QUARTERMASTERS." By the date of this particular publication this type of saddle was also shown as part of the equipment for the Machine Gun Cart.

Best, Ken