When to quit using old stuff

For any and all posts on physical items that don't fit other specific forums in the Artifacts & Objects category.
John Fitzgerald
Society Member
Medals: 1
:
Society Member

Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:11 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Pat Holscher</i>
<br />On boots and 04s, it's interesting to note that for a fairly long period of time, the 04 was ridden with service shoes and leggings. The leggings were relatively high, but not as high as riding boots.

Of course, the 04 was also ridden with service shoes and puttees.

Why did the artillery variant have sweat leathers and the cavalry variant omit them?

Pat
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Traces under their legs?

John Fitzgerald
Eagle County, Colorado

Ride'm like you stole'm
Tom Muller
Society Member
Last Name: Muller
:
Society Member

Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:25 am

Yep,

that could be a reason, ours weren't too stiff and that was the way we kept them (with saddle soap).

Tom
Pat Holscher
Website Admin
Medals: 2
Last Name: Holscher
:
Society Member Donation - Palm Leaf

Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:01 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by John Fitzgerald</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Pat Holscher</i>
<br />On boots and 04s, it's interesting to note that for a fairly long period of time, the 04 was ridden with service shoes and leggings. The leggings were relatively high, but not as high as riding boots.

Why did the artillery variant have sweat leathers and the cavalry variant omit them?

Pat

Traces under their legs?

John Fitzgerald
Eagle County, Colorado

Ride'm like you stole'm

I hadn't thought of that. That's likely it.

Pat
Jim Bewley
Society Member
Last Name: Bewley
:
Society Member Donation - 3rd

Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:42 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">On boots and 04s, it's interesting to note that for a fairly long period of time, the 04 was ridden with service shoes and leggings. The leggings were relatively high, but not as high as riding boots.

Pat<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

It is no secret to anyone here that I have a weakness for the strap leggings. Pat mentions that they were not as high as the riding boot. I have not really done a study on this, but they come to the widest part of the calf and I thought riding boots of the same period came to about the same height. Didn't the knee high boot come into popularity later?

Ron: We need your boot book.

Jim
John Fitzgerald
Society Member
:
Society Member

Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:04 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jim Bewley</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">On boots and 04s, it's interesting to note that for a fairly long period of time, the 04 was ridden with service shoes and leggings. The leggings were relatively high, but not as high as riding boots.

Pat<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

It is no secret to anyone here that I have a weakness for the strap leggings. Pat mentions that they were not as high as the riding boot. I have not really done a study on this, but they come to the widest part of the calf and I thought riding boots of the same period came to about the same height. Didn't the knee high boot come into popularity later?

Ron: We need your boot book.

Jim

Jim,

It seems to me the mounted legging is just about as high as M1931's and M1940's. I had a pair. didn't I sell them to you?

As long as your calf is protected, you are comfortable on an "04. The bare calf is what gets bruised and galled.

John Fitzgerald
Eagle County, Colorado

Ride'm like you stole'm
Couvi
Society Member
Medals: 3
:
Society Member Site Content Donation - 5th

Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:16 am

John,<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Pat Holscher</i><br />Why did the artillery variant have sweat leathers and the cavalry variant omit them?

Pat<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"> <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Traces under their legs?

John Fitzgerald
Eagle County, Colorado

Ride'm like you stole'm<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

That is a good question. See http://www.militaryhorse.org/poppic.asp?s=22&img=3 The traces on the M1916 breast collar equipment ride even lower than these.

Couvi

<i>"Cavalier sans Cheval"</i>

"Do not fear the enemy, for they can take only your life.
Fear the media, for they will take your honor."</i> Anonymous (<font size="1">He wrote a lot of this stuff.</font id="size1">)
John Fitzgerald
Society Member
:
Society Member

Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:40 am

Couvi,

I can't get the photo to load, but I'm assuming by your comment that traces are not an issue.

Perhaps horses in draft just sweated a lot more than saddle horses, thus the sweat leathers.

John Fitzgerald
Eagle County, Colorado

Ride'm like you stole'm
Pat Holscher
Website Admin
:

Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:04 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by John Fitzgerald</i>
<br />Couvi,

I can't get the photo to load, but I'm assuming by your comment that traces are not an issue.

Perhaps horses in draft just sweated a lot more than saddle horses, thus the sweat leathers.

John Fitzgerald
Eagle County, Colorado

Ride'm like you stole'm

I just repaired the entry, so that photo will load now.

Pat
Pat Holscher
Website Admin
:

Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:06 am

Pat
Pat Holscher
Website Admin
:

Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:07 am

It looks, from this photo, that it could be anticipated that there'd be rigging under the leg, and below it, so the sweat leather do make sense. Perhaps it's better to conceive of them as fenders in this case.

Pat
Todd
Website Admin
Last Name: Holmes
:
Society Member Site Content Donation - Palm Leaf

Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:48 am

To make clear, this photo shows experimental harness, but the trace under the calf of the rider IS the standard position prior to changeover to M1916 pattern harness. I'll have to dig it up, but I have a pic of that trace, which is a leather-covered metal cable attached to a breaststrap - it passes about the same place on most riders legs however.
Joseph Sullivan
Website Admin
:
Society Member Donation - 6th

Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:07 pm

Or, it could be that the artillery just wanted fenders. They had their own bridles, too, even for individual riding.

Joe
Couvi
Society Member
:
Society Member Site Content Donation - 5th

Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:45 pm

Pat,<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Pat Holscher</i>
<br />It looks, from this photo, that it could be anticipated that there'd be rigging under the leg, and below it, so the sweat leather do make sense. Perhaps it's better to conceive of them as fenders in this case.

Pat <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">According to Dick Shepard, Chief of the Field Artillery Half Section at Fort Sill, the fender is to prevent chafing of the rider’s leg from various pieces of harness.

Couvi

<i>"Cavalier sans Cheval"</i>

<i>"Do not fear the enemy, for they can take only your life.
Fear the media, for they will take your honor."</i> Anonymous (<font size="1">He wrote a lot of this stuff.</font id="size1">)