German Packsaddle (Tragsattel)

For any and all posts on physical items that don't fit other specific forums in the Artifacts & Objects category.
Philip S
Society Member
Medals: 2
Last Name: Sauerlender
:
Society Member Donation - 7th

Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:49 am

Several years ago I obtained a pack frame identical to this. The seller had a number of them and was advertising them as Phillips Packsaddles (and continued to do so after I showed him that they obviously were not). Mine has no markings that I could find and I have long been mystified as to its origin and use. It has painted on one side "II Btl. 19. Monicion".
Heeresbergfuhrer
Last Name: Kiser

Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:31 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I looked this gun up this evening. It is indeed an interesting piece. Apparently it came with some ski type trails, so it could even be pulled by men on skis. Pat<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Grüß Di' Pat,

Yes, the Geb.G. 36 could be fitted with ski/sled device either onto the wheels or to replace the wheels. The ski/sled device was also used on other artillery pieces. Here's a series of photos that I have showing it being used on a PAK 36 (36mm anti-tank gun) being pulled up a mountain...looks like a lot of work! (***for the watermark, I just use the text tool in Adobe Photoshop).

Gebirgspanzerjäger vor!
Patrick

Heeresbergführer Kiser
Heeresbergfuhrer
Last Name: Kiser

Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:53 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Philip S</i>
<br />Image

Several years ago I obtained a pack frame identical to this. The seller had a number of them and was advertising them as Phillips Packsaddles (and continued to do so after I showed him that they obviously were not). Mine has no markings that I could find and I have long been mystified as to its origin and use. It has painted on one side "II Btl. 19. Monicion".
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Servus Philip,

These are Austro-Hungarian/Czech Skoda packsaddles for use with the World War I Skoda 75mm Mountain Howitzer (M 1915) which was a highly successful gun (used in both World Wars and after) and was exported to many countries in Europe and Central/South America. I beleive most of the saddles here in the USA were imported from one of the Central/South American countries.

I have an original copy of the German manual for the Geb.K. 15 that shows how the gun was broken down and loaded on the packsaddle. I'll try to scan the images this weekend.

Gebirgsartillerie vor!
PK

Heeresbergführer Kiser
Philip S
Society Member
Last Name: Sauerlender
:
Society Member Donation - 7th

Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:50 am

Thanks. Do you have any idea what "II Btl. 19. Monicion" means? My guess is Second Battalion, 19mm ammunition.
Pat Holscher
Website Admin
Last Name: Holscher
:
Society Member Donation - Palm Leaf

Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:14 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Heeresbergführer</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I looked this gun up this evening. It is indeed an interesting piece. Apparently it came with some ski type trails, so it could even be pulled by men on skis. Pat<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Grüß Di' Pat,

Yes, the Geb.G. 36 could be fitted with ski/sled device either onto the wheels or to replace the wheels. The ski/sled device was also used on other artillery pieces. Here's a series of photos that I have showing it being used on a PAK 36 (36mm anti-tank gun) being pulled up a mountain...looks like a lot of work! (***for the watermark, I just use the text tool in Adobe Photoshop).

Gebirgspanzerjäger vor!
Patrick

Heeresbergführer Kiser
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Wow. What a labor.

Pat