Riding the M1928

For any and all posts on physical items that don't fit other specific forums in the Artifacts & Objects category.
John Fitzgerald
Society Member
Medals: 1
:
Society Member

Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:30 am

Here is a source for overshoe stirrups.

http://istirrups.com/ecom/index.php?act ... =1&subid=3

John Fitzgerald
Eagle County, Colorado

Ride'm like you stole'm
WSC

Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:39 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by john</i>
<br />I don't mean to butt in,but.....
Does this not show a 1928 Mod Mac with hooded stirrups?

And if it does is that significant in any way?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I've heard there are some inaccuracies in the Steffen book, and this may be one.....but he has several drawings of the 1928 with hooded stirrups (I just got the book in the mail last week).

Chris
Dick A.

Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:28 pm

A former trooper once told me that the

A former trooper once told me that the uniform items and tack used were dictated by the whims of the Regimental Commander. If the Co likes Boots, the troopers wore boots, if he liked puttees, they wore puttees. If the CO liked dark saddles the saddles were dark and so on. There are many pictures of 28's with hooded stirrups after the directive came down to remove the hoods and trim the wooden stirrups. Maybe the CO of this Regiment liked hooded stirrups.

Dick A.
John Ruf
Society Member
Medals: 2
Last Name: Ruf
:
Society Member Donation - 2nd

Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:13 am

Gentlemen:

In regard to the M1928 McClellan used with hooded stirrups:

The 1930 Handbook for Quartermasters shows the "Cavalry McClellan saddle, M-1904, modified" with hooded M1904 Stirrups:

It would appear from this plate that as of 1930 the stirrups had not been modified. Nor, it would seem, had the designation M1928 been initiated:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeeir49/mili ... id103.html

Regards,

John Ruf
Culpeper, Virginia

"God forbid that I should go to any Heaven in which there are no horses."
Robert Bontine Cunninghame Graham 1852-1936
Todd
Website Admin
Medals: 3
Last Name: Holmes
:
Society Member Site Content Donation - Palm Leaf

Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:22 am

There must be a typo in that handbook - those are the modified stirrup leathers (you can clearly see the roller buckles and double rivets). I've also seen documentation that there was a previous modification to the M1904 stirrup leathers prior to the 1928 mods, which was specified for cavalry only.

This '1922' stirrup leather modification was the removal of the rivet, and cutting off the 'doubled-lap' section of near the buckle. This allowed the leathers to be used a bit more like standard leathers, where they could be shifted to spread the wear out.

Naturally, these are difficult to find as they tended to be used up - and they look like someone's backyard leatherworking, so a lot of folks have replaced them with standard 1904s in order for the saddle to be 'correct'. Have an example tucked away somewhere - I should dig it out for a photograph.

Todd
John Fitzgerald
Society Member
Medals: 1
:
Society Member

Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:07 am

More on boot-pacs.

I need spurs while riding my favorite horse. With him, no spurs, we just walk. So, I spread a pair of M1911 spurs so they would fit over my boot pacs. They work great

John Fitzgerald
Eagle County, Colorado

Ride'm like you stole'm
John Ruf
Society Member
Medals: 2
Last Name: Ruf
:
Society Member Donation - 2nd

Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:24 am

Todd:

Thanks for that illumination on the stirrup leathers; it isn't an error in the manual--it is "operator error" on my part!

I've modified the post and my webpage accordingly.

Regards,

John Ruf
Culpeper, Virginia

"God forbid that I should go to any Heaven in which there are no horses."
Robert Bontine Cunninghame Graham 1852-1936
Todd
Website Admin
Last Name: Holmes
:
Society Member Site Content Donation - Palm Leaf

Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:31 am

Cool.

I've always wondered about that change from the 1922 mod to the 1928. The major reasons for and benefits of the 1922 change had to do with the ability to distribute the bearing surfaces wear and reduce the bulk, which the 1928 mod seems to put right back in as well as using a really lousy roller buckle on top of it.
Couvi
Society Member
:
Society Member Site Content Donation - 5th

Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:16 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><u><b> The Field Artillery Journal </b></u>, JUNE, 1945—Vol. 35, No. 6

<u><b> TRENDS in Field Artillery Organization & Equipment </b></u>

<b><i> Although this column announces only approved changes, it does not constitute authority to requisition personnel or equipment listed herein. </i></b>

By Maj. Shirley B. Metzger, FA, and Maj. Irvine F. Belser, Jr., FA

Army Service Forces QM Supply Catalog 3-4 is being changed to list wooden stirrups (less the leather hood) of the type furnished the Saddle, McClellan, M1928, as an additional component for the Saddle, military, Phillips', with a remark stating that either the ordinary steel stirrup or the wooden stirrup may be requisitioned according to the desire of the unit concerned. Advantages of the wooden stirrup in cold weather operations are greater warmth, increased width to accommodate the shoepac more comfortably, and less likelihood of rubber soles slipping or hanging when the rider dismounts. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Couvi

<i>"Cavalier sans Cheval"</i>