Cavalry horse bandoleers

For any and all posts on physical items that don't fit other specific forums in the Artifacts & Objects category.
Todd
Website Admin
Medals: 3
Last Name: Holmes
:
Society Member Site Content Donation - Palm Leaf

Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:04 am

Truth in advertising!

"In another decade owners of this volume will cherish it as a military gem, for it will no longer be available."
HawkHero
Last Name: Colonna

Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:14 am

There's another copy further in the listings on Amazon for $50...

Brian S Colonna
Pat Holscher
Website Admin
Medals: 2
Last Name: Holscher
:
Society Member Donation - Palm Leaf

Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:38 am

I won one on ebay, admittedly where the vender had listed it improperly, thanks to the sharp eye of one of our participants here. It's a really interesting book, and I sure didn't pay $120 for it.

Looking at that drawing, I'm not sure if it's intended to depict WWI British troops, WWI US troops, or perhaps 1940 vintage American troops. Interesting depiction.

Pat
Pat Holscher
Website Admin
:

Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:39 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Trooper</i>
<br />Repros:
http://cgi.ebay.com/WW1-Leather-9-Pouch ... dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/WW1-Leather-Cavalry ... dZViewItem

Dušan
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Somebody's reproductions were listed in the Sportsman's Guild a while back.

Pat
Reese Williams

Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:18 am

Mike, Larry,

I tend to agee with Larry, the 10 pocket are a strictly Canadian piece of gear. The nine pocket bandoleer on the horse was the same as the trooper's bandoleer. The practice of using it on the horse started in 1915. To the best of my knowledge it didn't happen in the Boer War. (never say never)

Pat,

The Sportsman's Guide repros are from International Military Antiques (IMA) IMA also has an association with Atlanta Cutlery
Pat Holscher
Website Admin
:

Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:53 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Reese Williams</i>
<br />Mike, Larry,

I tend to agee with Larry, the 10 pocket are a strictly Canadian piece of gear. The nine pocket bandoleer on the horse was the same as the trooper's bandoleer. The practice of using it on the horse started in 1915. To the best of my knowledge it didn't happen in the Boer War. (never say never)

Pat,

The Sportsman's Guide repros are from International Military Antiques (IMA) IMA also has an association with Atlanta Cutlery

Does each bandoleer pocket carry one, or two, Enfield stripper clips?

Pat
Mike K.

Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:29 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Pat Holscher</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Reese Williams</i>
<br />Mike, Larry,

Pat,

Pat

TWO
Pat Holscher
Website Admin
:

Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:00 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mike K.</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Pat Holscher</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Reese Williams</i>
<br />Mike, Larry,

Pat,

Pat

TWO

That's a full 100 to 90 rounds, depending on the number of pockets.

Pat