M1912 Mounted Canteens

Ken McPheeters
Past Society Member
Past Society Member

Thought that I'd pass this along. Last weekend I handled a M1912 Mounted Canteen that had an ink stamp on the bottom of the canvas cover "US", "J.Q.M.D." and the date "1934". Interesting to find one dated that late.
Rick Throckmorton
Society Member
Last Name: Throckmorton

Ken,
Isn't that the M1917 canteen? The canteen used with the M1912 outfit was the standard M1910 as described in the Ordnance Memo when packed into the pommel pocket. I, too, have seen the canteen covers dated that late. I always thought it a curiosity, but after twenty years, the surplus stock must have been drying up much like the CW stuff during the late Indian Wars period.
Rick T.
Ken McPheeters
Past Society Member
Past Society Member

Yes, Rick M1917 is correct. I was dictating last night and the basset was doing the typing. His big feet don't add much for accuracy, but he likes to participate. KM
Rick Throckmorton
Society Member

Bassets are like that. Boston Terriers are more detail oriented, though.
Philip S
Society Member
Last Name: Sauerlender

FYI I bought this afternoon a mounted canteen marked on both the canvas and leather strap JQMD 1933. I saw some other interesting things. There was a mint 1924 modified saddlebag (stamped 1917)complete with unused liner and interior bags for $800. There was a Black Garand scabbard marked JQMD 1943. The dealer thought that it must have been stained black when the army went from brown to black leather. There was also a "German" WWII brush and curry comb. It looked familiar and sure enough there was a Swiss cross stamped on the side.
slim

Since we're talking about canteens here, I've wondered for
some time if a trooper of say, '40-'43 used the canteen covers
with the leather strap to hang on a saddle, or did they hang
them off the web belt like infantry?
Can anyone tell me what model designation is correct for Cav.?
Thanks, Slim.
Rick Throckmorton
Society Member

Slim,
I see we forgot to answer your question re: canteens in WW2. Two versions of canteens were used by cavalry during this period. The Model 1917 mounted canteen cover with the leather strap around the perimeter and the snap to suspend it from a pommel or cantle ring was used throughout this period. A newer version appeared about 1941. In this version, the canteen cover had the regular wire hanger sewn on the back, but there was an additional sideways "H" shaped web strapping also sewn on the back of the cover. The web "T" hanger that one sees on Ebay all the time(and often described as used to hang the canteen inside armored vehicles or used by paratroops) , fit onto the wire hanger and enabled the canteen to be hung from a cantle ring. Additionally, two of the saddlebag flap straps were threaded through the sideways "H" on the back of the canteen cover(and then buckled as normal), which secured the canteen against the front of the saddlebag and kept it from flopping around at faster gaits.
I hope this helps.
Rick Throckmorton
slim

Rick, I do thank you for the information. This is just what I
was wanting to know! What would I do without without you guys?!
:) Regards, Slim.
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rick Throckmorton</i>
<br />The web "T" hanger that one sees on Ebay all the time(and often described as used to hang the canteen inside armored vehicles or used by paratroops) , fit onto the wire hanger and enabled the canteen to be hung from a cantle ring.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I'm glad Rick mentioned that. Like he mentions, this item shows up on ebay all of the time, and it is continually referenced in terms of being a "paratrooper" item. I've assumed that this description is an inaccurate assumption that has gone berserk, and is now accepted as correct (along with a lot of other errors about paratroopers) but I guess I should ask. Am I correct that there's no truth to this being used intentionally as a paratrooper item?

Pat
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

A blog post on canteen, and other, Army cups:

https://uswarhorse.wordpress.com/2016/0 ... teen-cups/