1916 Army officers' saddle test report

Philip S
Society Member
Last Name: Sauerlender

“The Army and Navy Register”
August 5, 1916, p. 177:

Army Officers’ Saddle

First Lieutenant J. T. Kennedy, 6th Cavalry, has made a report to the commandant of the mounted-service school, Fort Riley, Kans., on Army officers, saddle. It follows:

Valentine, Texas, July 24,

1. The officers’ saddle manufactured at Rock Island Arsenal has been thoroughly tested by me, especially as regards conditions stated in your letter of May 4, 1916.

2. The saddle was packed in a canvas bag and shipped from Fort Riley to Columbus, N. Mex., in baggage car on May 2. On May 4, 5, and 6 saddle was hauled in canvas bag, from Columbus, N. Mex., to Colonia Dublan, Mexico, and then back to Ascension, Mexico, on motor truck The saddle arrived at La Ascension without injury, and I immediately used it in all my work. While at La Ascension I made one patrol to Ojitas and return, 96 miles, in 33 hours. I rode the saddle 181 miles while in Mexico.

The climatic conditions while in Mexico were hot, dry days and cool nights and an unusual amount of dust.

3. Shipped saddle from Columbus, N. Mex., to Valentine, Texas, on May 20 with troop property and have been using saddle on border patrol duty in vicinity of Valentine since that day. Climatic conditions in Texas same as in Mexico until July 1. Since July 1 we have been having rain, with very hot days between rainy days.

4. In all my work I have carried two days’ grain and feed bag on cantle; extra blanket and slicker on pommel; two days’ saddle bag rations (bacon and hard bread0 and mess kit in one cantle bag; extra horseshoes, grooming kit, etc., in other cantle bag; towel, soap, and tooth brush in one pommel pocket and maps, note books, pencils, toilet paper, tobacco, etc., in other pommel pocket.

5. Result of test: I found the saddle most satisfactory in every particular and under all condition except as stated below. The saddle is most comfortable and can be ridden great distances with very little fatigue; with much less fatigue than when riding a McClellan saddle. It fulfills all the requirements of a field saddle. In all, I have ridden the saddle between 600 and 700 miles under field conditions and am convinced that this is the best type of saddle for field work.

6. Defects: There are a few minor defects in manufacture of saddle which can easily be corrected. The metal straps that hold the iron pieces in which the stirrup straps hang are too weak and soft. One broke after two weeks’ use and the other after four weeks’ use. The troop blacksmith and saddler made the repairs with a piece of wrought strap iron. These repairs were satisfactory and can’t be noticed by the eye nor while riding. The pigskin covering over seat stretches some and puffs up under weight if saddle is ridden while wet. This in saddle I used was only slight and in no way impairs use or comfort of saddle. It would seem that both of the above-mentioned defects could be easily corrected.

7. Personal preference: Personally, I prefer the skirts of the saddle to be set a little further back and cut straight down the front as in De La Clove model of Saumur saddle. I mention this as a personal preference, because the skirts as used on saddle in no way affects the comfort or use of the saddle.

8. Recommendation: I recommend that the saddle be adopted for use of officers; that the weak straps mentioned in paragraph 6 be made of stronger material, and that the pigskin covering of seat be thoroughly stretched before being sewed on the saddle.

The saddle is absolutely satisfactory in all particulars except as mentioned. It is the best saddle every made in the United States.

J. T. Kennedy.
Kurt Hughes
Society Member

Hi Philip

A very interesting post indeed, you might be interested in this photograph of the actual saddle.

Kurt.
CRB

Smith-Worthington still offers an "Officers Field Saddle" in the custom section of their catalogue. I have been wondering what model it is, i should just call and find out.
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

CRB wrote:Smith-Worthington still offers an "Officers Field Saddle" in the custom section of their catalogue. I have been wondering what model it is, i should just call and find out.
I'd be curious what they'd say, if you do.

The Smith Worthington has been discussed in some older threads. I'd have to dig that up, but it seems to me that it might be a Whitman variation. They still make a New York Police model of saddle, although I think the NYPD no longer uses it. If I recall correctly (and I'll have to bump up that thread when I have time, as it is discussed in there) the NYPD model is a Whitman variant.
CRB

They still make a New York Police model of saddle
Yes they show that one in the catalogue, actually a couple of varations of it. but in the special order section they list the "Officers Field saddle" (with the scary note "call for price") I sent an enquiry to them today, I'm hoping its a phillips style as I miss mine terribly.
Philip S
Society Member

Kurt Hughes wrote:Hi Philip

A very interesting post indeed, you might be interested in this photograph of the actual saddle.

Kurt.
Thanks Kurt. I never expected to see a picture of his saddle.
The mileage he rode is impressive.
Pat Holscher
Society Member

Philip S wrote:
Kurt Hughes wrote:Hi Philip

Kurt.
Thanks Kurt. I never expected to see a picture of his saddle.
The mileage he rode is impressive.
By the way, as that's a big photo, it's one of the one which you can right click with your mouse, and bring up the entire, uncropped, photo.
Philip S
Society Member

[quote="Pat Holscher
By the way, as that's a big photo, it's one of the one which you can right click with your mouse, and bring up the entire, uncropped, photo.[/quote]

That doesn't work on my computer (Windows XP)
Pat Holscher
Society Member

Philip S wrote:[quote="Pat Holscher
By the way, as that's a big photo, it's one of the one which you can right click with your mouse, and bring up the entire, uncropped, photo.

That doesn't work on my computer (Windows XP)[/quote]

I have XP on this computer (my work computer) and it is resizing it automatically. However, if I put my cursor on the photo and right click, it'll give me a menu. If I choose "View Photo" and left click, it brings it up separately.
Kurt Hughes
Society Member

Yes sorry about the size of the picture, I already had it saved on my computer from when I scanned it on a previous occasion, when I resized it the quality was worse, it is my first time posting a photograph ever or indeed saving one to my web space so I have much to learn, I also had scans of the photos Dallas kindly provided on the related topic but they were so big I decided not to post them. I hope it is not too much of a problem, I will hopefully make things smaller the next time.
Kurt.
Pat Holscher
Society Member

Kurt Hughes wrote:Yes sorry about the size of the picture, I already had it saved on my computer from when I scanned it on a previous occasion, when I resized it the quality was worse, it is my first time posting a photograph ever or indeed saving one to my web space so I have much to learn, I also had scans of the photos Dallas kindly provided on the related topic but they were so big I decided not to post them. I hope it is not too much of a problem, I will hopefully make things smaller the next time.
Kurt.
Go ahead and post them, it really isn't a problem. We appreciate the photos.
Pat Holscher
Society Member

Bump.