Columbus New Mexico Raid Centennial

Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

Pat Holscher
Society Member

Anyone planning on being in Columbus for the centennial?
wkambic
Society Member
Last Name: Kambic

Yup. Not taking any horses (it's a 2.5 day haul one way and five days of trailering for a one day event is just not going to happen).

Looks like they have quite a lineup of events and presentations. Looking forward to it!
Pat Holscher
Society Member

wkambic wrote:Yup. Not taking any horses (it's a 2.5 day haul one way and five days of trailering for a one day event is just not going to happen).

Looks like they have quite a lineup of events and presentations. Looking forward to it!
Take photos.
wkambic
Society Member

Have smart phone...Will travel? :)
Kurt Hughes
Society Member

Hi Pat

I am also going, Bill perhaps we might even bump into each other?

Kurt.
Pat Holscher
Society Member

Kurt Hughes wrote:Hi Pat

I am also going, Bill perhaps we might even bump into each other?

Kurt.
Take more pictures.

And take a picture with both of you in it.
wkambic
Society Member

Looking forward to it, Kurt!

I'll be hanging around the U.S. Cavalry Assn. display, which we plan on co-locating with What Price Glory and Dehner Boots.

See you then!!!
Kurt Hughes
Society Member

Bill I will be sure to stop by and say hello.
wkambic
Society Member

Please do!!!
Kurt Hughes
Society Member

Just thought I would write a few lines about my visit to Columbus.

My wife and I attended Columbus on the 9th and 12th this year.

The 9th was Columbus Memorial day presented by Columbus historical society. It was a wonderful occasion and respectful memorial to those killed and injured on March 9th 1916. The program consisted of a presentation of the Colors by the US Border Patrol, the National Anthem sung by Helen Patton granddaughter of Gen. Patton who had travelled from France to be there. Followed by a moving speech by Richard Dean outlining the deaths of those killed during the attack, this was one of the highlights of the day for me. This was followed by speeches from Helen Patton, Capt. David Poe, Gen Salas, NMNG. This was followed by Roll Call both Military and Civilian, a laying of wreath and Taps.
The day for me was also an opportunity to meet two friends I have been communicating and exchanging information with for many years, Dr Robert Bouilly Historian for the Sergeants Major Academy Ft. Bliss and Richard Dean grandson of James T. Dean killed during the attack. Another highlight was Dr Bouilly who gave a very informative walking tour of the town and the 1916 fight. I would like to thank both these people for the work they put in, I know Richard puts in much time and effort into keeping the memory alive of those killed and injured during the attack that day. They are both great authorities on the events 100 years ago.
We then took time to visit Columbus Train depot museum that has some wonderful items on display relating to the attack as well as items from other times, next on our list was the Pancho Villa state park museum in particular I was impressed to see an original Benet Mercie machine gun.

We returned to Columbus on the 12th which was somewhat different to that on the 9th, the weather being one as it was quite windy but hot, I guess warm for those people who live on the border but hot for someone coming from the UK in late winter.
The day for us started with a drive from Deming which I should add is worth seeing for those interested in the Punitive Expedition. Once in Columbus around 70 members of the 2nd Squadron 13th Cavalry, 3rd Brigade, 1st Armoured formed up with the attending reenactors behind them. The Cabalgata consisting of many riders rode into town from the border which was quite a spectacular thing to see. This was followed by a march past of the current 13th and reenactors who then formed up on parade next to the 13th Cavalry who had their Colors and Guidons flying (in the strong winds) for various speeches . I can sympathise with those on parade having served in the army, coping with the sun and strong winds could not be easy particularly for those bearing the Colors and I imagine not comfortable for those reenactors in wool shirts and trousers. But I know for me and no doubt for others it gave us a feel for serving on the border.
My wife and I then wondered around meeting various people, we attended a talk given by Dr Bouilly on the Truck Trains during the Punitive Expedition which was most informative. My only regret was a lack of time during the day, for example I was able to meet Bill Kambic but sadly I was called away so was unable to spend as much time as I would have hoped, still Bill it was a pleasure to meet you!
The reenactors put on a great display and they did not let the strong winds and dust disrupt things. I met a good group of them where there were some real characters sadly I cannot recall all their names so apologies for not being able to list them all, but thank you to Brian (Brian P) a fellow member here, Adam Lid and Ray whose last name I did not get, they were all a great bunch who put on a great display, I had to drive back to Tucson that afternoon/evening otherwise I could have spent much longer talking with them.
I took some photos but in hindsight wish I had taken more, I have added some below to give you a general feel for things. I managed to bring home some great mementos and wonderful memories.
Here are just a few pics.
P1000419b.jpg
P1000419b.jpg (56.05 KiB) Viewed 7270 times
13th Cavalry.
P1000449b.jpg
P1000449b.jpg (140.53 KiB) Viewed 7270 times
Brian and his son and other reenactors along with the 13th.
P1000434b.jpg
P1000434b.jpg (50.14 KiB) Viewed 7270 times
Pancho Villa.
P1000423b.jpg
P1000423b.jpg (65.18 KiB) Viewed 7269 times
P1000448b.jpg
P1000448b.jpg (74.88 KiB) Viewed 7270 times
P1000463b.jpg
P1000463b.jpg (64.99 KiB) Viewed 7270 times
One of my favourites, a steel horse.
P1000464b.jpg
P1000464b.jpg (40.18 KiB) Viewed 7270 times
Columbus from Cootes Hill, the water tower was added after the attack, the State Park is in the foreground and the distinctive Rail Road Depot Museum can be see in the middle ground.
Trooper
Society Member
Last Name: Farrington

Thank you Kurt - and well done :clap:
Pat Holscher
Society Member

What's the model of the old motorcycle?
Kurt Hughes
Society Member

Hi Pat

In all honesty I do not know as I did not get to speak to the owner, to me it looks the part but I guess that is similar to someone saying to me an 04 McClellan looks the same as an m1885 saddle. I seem to think the model used was just a year model, of course as you will have seen many had sidecars.
Here is another photo of the Harley Davidson perhaps someone else knows more on the subject.
P1000462c.jpg
P1000462c.jpg (69.3 KiB) Viewed 7261 times